Borla XR1 or Magnapacks? Help me decide

HandsomeRob

Established Member
There is nothing quiet about the XR1's. Borla Part#40941 is the muffler I have. 12" long 2.5 center in center out. I have tailpipes that dump behind the rear tire.
Here is an old vid I made awhile back. There is a short exhaust clip at 1:10. The video doesn't do it justice though
1997 Blown Mustang Cobra - YouTube

98SVTchad

Established Member
Any videos?!?! I'd love to here it. Is it really quiet when cruising? I have just the Magnaflow True x with stock catback and it is pretty quiet when you are just cruising in fith gear which I like that; gets loud when I got to shift at around 2200rpm and WOT obviously lol. I just don't want to get it and have the car get quieter lol.

I love that video! That car sounds amazing. But that's with a BBK X so it's got a different sound imo. Did you see the video I linked of the magnaflow true x and magnapacks CB? That video sounds amazing but sounds like it get quiet when it's not even that far away.

I don't have any videos, but I can assure you it isn't quiet. They actually have a very nice sound at a cruise and at highway and interstate speeds. I have 4.10s, and I just love going under overpasses on the interstate with those high revs. I actually prefer the sound of the Magnapacks on my car over the XR1s on my brother's Mach 1, but I guess that's just my taste.

Also, before you buy, check every place you can for prices. I actually ended up getting my catback from Amazon for $335 shipped....amazing deal.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I don't have any videos, but I can assure you it isn't quiet. They actually have a very nice sound at a cruise and at highway and interstate speeds. I have 4.10s, and I just love going under overpasses on the interstate with those high revs. I actually prefer the sound of the Magnapacks on my car over the XR1s on my brother's Mach 1, but I guess that's just my taste.

Also, before you buy, check every place you can for prices. I actually ended up getting my catback from Amazon for $335 shipped....amazing deal.
Ah so they are actually audible at cruising speeds and highway speeds, awesome. I have 4.10's as well so it should be fun hearing it under highway passes. My car seems to get pretty loud under those but from videos I have seen the magnapacks are super quiet in comparison to say bassani. My friend has bassani on his mach 1 and it sounds amazing but I can't copy it lol. Interesting, I think I'm more of a Magnaflow person myself. I don't see what everyone sees in the XR1's or any borlas for that matter. Thanks for your input!

Whoa that's a great price you got it for! New or off a seller? I'm weary of buying used stuff from random people lol. I'm not a fan of ebay for that matter. I'll most likely end up buying it new for pretty much full price since I'm paranoid like that.

There is nothing quiet about the XR1's. Borla Part#40941 is the muffler I have. 12" long 2.5 center in center out. I have tailpipes that dump behind the rear tire.
Here is an old vid I made awhile back. There is a short exhaust clip at 1:10. The video doesn't do it justice though
1997 Blown Mustang Cobra - YouTube
Yeah they are definitely not quiet so I've heard. Ah I've seen that vid plenty of times, love your car. Yeah the video isn't great in the audio department and it's hard to find a good vid of xr1's on an NA 4v. I have found a few but honestly I'm not all that impressed. Might just be my ears? lol

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
I tried to make a vid of my car so you could hear the XR-1's, but they get drowned out by the whine of the supercharger. The XR-1's are very loud, especially at WOT and they produce a lot of drone, but I like them. I'm in the process of making a custom 3" H pipe setup that I think will sound amazing with the XR-1's, only time will tell.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
It's not easy making an exhaust vid. My video is really crappy.
Still a good vid though, the car is just awesome. Thanks

I tried to make a vid of my car so you could hear the XR-1's, but they get drowned out by the whine of the supercharger. The XR-1's are very loud, especially at WOT and they produce a lot of drone, but I like them. I'm in the process of making a custom 3" H pipe setup that I think will sound amazing with the XR-1's, only time will tell.
Damn well I'm sure everyone here would love to here the whine! ooo no I don't like drone. It seems to get an audible sound at cruising speeds you must have drone lol. Make sure to post vids when the custom ehxuast is done.

Dumps sound different to me. Anything is better than flows on a 4V! Your car sounds awesome! Its not your usual mustang sound, has its own melody. I like it a lot. I guess I'm gonna order the catback tonight and get it on next Saturday :) I hope it doesn't get quieter than how it is now.

Last night I rode in my friends stock 94 GT with only a Mac o/r h and mac catback; gat damn that thing is loud! Has a tiny bit of drone but it sounds good! Car sounds beefy.

Users who are viewing this thread