Boss 302 Grill Question

zw470

Established Member
Just picked up a 2014 GT and first up on my to-do list is to upgrade to the Boss 302 grille while keeping my factory foglights. I can get the grille, nameplate and nameplate nut for $193 from Leavittown, and this seems like a much better deal than the $310 most vendors want for the kit. Can anyone confirm that those are the only parts I need considering I want to re-use my factory fogs?

The specific part numbers are:
Grille: DR3Z-8200-CB
Nameplate: 8R3Z-16228-A
Nameplate Nut: W708203-S437M

Thanks.

jp1seattle

Established Member
Yeah the grille part number is correct. I'm not sure about the emblem, but I remember mine just snapping in. No nut was used. There might have been adhesive to secure it but definitely no nut.

zw470

Established Member
Yeah, I've read the how-tos and none of them mention it. It's #3 on this parts diagram. It's only $0.70 so I'll probably order it just to be on the safe side.

Grille%20Parts%20List_zpsid86ghj9.gif

jp1seattle

Established Member
One thing I found was that I couldn't get the old grille out with out cutting the tabs. i ended up just cutting them all and tossing the old pony grille in the trash.

Mustangfresk196

Established Member
Really? I just installed a boss grille on my '13 and didnt need to cut a thing. Just grab a hold of the stock one and give it a yank. Then remove the bezel, slap the new on in there, put on the badge, and push back onto the car.

As far as OPs question I only bought #1 and #2 on the diagram. The emblem has tape on it. I dont see it going anywhere.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
^same. Get a solid pair of gloves if you need to, slide your fingers in just inside of the fogs, and hard yank will remove it.

zw470

Established Member
Guess that answers my other question of whether or not it's worth the trouble to take the bumper off ;-)

zw470

Established Member
Grille and emblem finally shipped, so just to confirm, this is the correct installation procedure?

1. Tape bumper and pull factory grille straight out
2. Remove tab for foglight delete plate
3. Install emblem
4. Install new grille

jp1seattle

Established Member
Yeah just pull it out of there. Hopefully you'll have the same luck as the other two posters and you can separate the old grille from the surround or "molding" as Ford calls it. Other than that, it's about as easy as a grille swap can get.

zw470

Established Member
Well that was easy :rolling: For whatever reason I was expecting only the grille insert to pull out, but when I gave it a yank the whole top half of the surround came loose instead. I figured rather than risk breaking something since it was now at a funny angle I'd just go with it, and there was more than enough room now to get the old insert out and install the new one. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say it was about a 1.5, and the extra .5 is only because it's a bit unnerving to walk up and yank something off your almost brand new car :D

Crappy iPhone pic now...
27858_zpstdxjrxgx.jpg

zw470

Established Member
Oh yeah, once I got my old grille insert out it was clear what the "Nameplate nuts" are. They're really tiny clips (maybe 1/4" dia) that slide over the alignment pins on the back of the emblem to help hold it on. Leavittown told me they're only available in multiples of 4 so I ended up not ordering any. They don't seem necessary at all, the adhesive on the emblem is very strong and covers the entire backside.

Users who are viewing this thread