BOSS 302 on Speed Channel NOON

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
It will be on again today at noon, I highly recommend DVR it if you can. I recorded it last night and am watching it now... WOW

It leaves the M3 in the DUST right out of the box, and they still have a lot of work to do yet so they are setting sights higher than M3.

I may just order one and turn the FOCI into a a rally car :) And I am serious, I have the green light from Di to order one WHOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Ken

TRBO VNM

Black w/ red Laguna, FTW. Looking forward to seeing what the pricing will be like. Hopefully not too crazy.

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
Looking forward to seeing what the pricing will be like. Hopefully not too crazy.

Seems like most people are paying MSRP, about $41,000 - $48,000 depending on the package (base or Laguna Seca). Delivery looks to be as early as late winter 2011, depending on when the order was put in.

TRBO VNM

I forgot what it is called. I know it is on twice tomorrow and then one more time. I just searched sports, then auto on directv.

Mustang289

Established Member
I watched it this weekend, wow this is going to be a killer car! I like what the directors of the program said up front not even thinking about setting our sites on the Camaro, it's set higher on the M3. They had some hot laps at Laguna with a few M3s there, the Boss walked away from them, this being the first time at the track for the new Boss. Later in the show the Director of the Boss program said something like, "We initially set our sights on the M3, after the hot laps at Laguna and seeing what we did to the M3, we need to find another target to shoot at".

WildFifty

Established Member
I watched the show last night and saw how the ford team was bragging that the boss outperforms the M3. I am very curious to see the details about how they determined this. They did not give any specifics on the show.
I recently test drove two m3's, one was a manual 6 speed and the second was a Dual clutch setup with the flappy paddles. The dual clutch system makes every shift perfect and was very easy to drive. The system definitely makes an average driver feel like a pro. I was amazed at how precise and sharp these cars handle. The m3s are glued to the road and it feels like a gokart, with minimal body roll. I felt that the car was perfectly balanced in its performance and maintained luxury options too. Granted, low end torque isn't what we are used to with our 500hp 500tq Cobras. But those v8's in the m3 rev like a mofo. If I remember correctly they redline at 8 or 8500 rpms.

Does anybody know how Ford was able to create similar balance in the boss? I know they mentioned adjustable shocks and huge stabilizer bars. Is that it? Any modifications to the frame and chassis of the mustang?
I know the boss doesn’t have many of luxuries and I doubt it’s as comfortable on the streets as the M3 either.
It would be great if Top Gear does a special comparison between these two cars, and have the Stig race them around the track. In order to back up what ford is saying.

I really like the boss, and the price is incredible. I plan on driving one as soon as possible. I am loving what ford is doing now a days with all these cars.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I saw it the other night also, and heard them say that, but didn't think much of it. I wonder if they're just loosely referencing the Motor Trend comparison where the Mustang GT came out slightly better (until you factor in cost, then it kills). Maybe they are figuring that since the Boss is better than the GT, it will obviously win in a contest against the M3. Or they may have been using the Continental Challange races as what they were basing it on. I'm ashamed to say I don't know if the Boss beat the M3 more, but I don't think so. I know an M3 won the championship, and I think #61 Rousch won more races than #15 MultimaticMotorsports, with Rousch running a Mustang GT and Multimatic with the Boss.

I don't know, while I liked watching the show, it was heavily weighted along the lines of a being a commercial. Does that make it a Ford Infomercial? LOL

Mustang289

Established Member
The stated goal by Ford was to beat the M3 in lap times at Laguna, didn't they have some M3s at the track also? If they did this fairly, this is pretty amazing. Taking a car right off the drawing board, first time at the track, and beat a car that's been in constant development/refinement for a long time.

WildFifty

Established Member
I saw it the other night also, and heard them say that, but didn't think much of it. I wonder if they're just loosely referencing the Motor Trend comparison where the Mustang GT came out slightly better (until you factor in cost, then it kills). Maybe they are figuring that since the Boss is better than the GT, it will obviously win in a contest against the M3. Or they may have been using the Continental Challange races as what they were basing it on. I'm ashamed to say I don't know if the Boss beat the M3 more, but I don't think so. I know an M3 won the championship, and I think #61 Rousch won more races than #15 MultimaticMotorsports, with Rousch running a Mustang GT and Multimatic with the Boss.

I don't know, while I liked watching the show, it was heavily weighted along the lines of a being a commercial. Does that make it a Ford Infomercial? LOL

LOL i felt the same way, it just felt like the were hyping it up soo much. they didn't get into anything technical or detailed. Drove me insane.

The stated goal by Ford was to beat the M3 in lap times at Laguna, didn't they have some M3s at the track also? If they did this fairly, this is pretty amazing. Taking a car right off the drawing board, first time at the track, and beat a car that's been in constant development/refinement for a long time.

I saw an m3 sedan on the track in some of the footage. They spent so much time talking about who was driving the Boss but no information as to who was driving the m3. Was the m3 just some random amatuer enthusiast that was enjoying a track day that happen to fall on the same day ford decided to take the boss out?

by the way this is a good read:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...stang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/index.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread