Boss Block?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Hey, is the Boss block Aluminum or Iron?

Just curious, but I would think since the Shelby has an aluminum block that they would use that for something like the Boss. But then again, it is "just" a souped up GT, so costs might dictate Iron block.

:??:

manOwar

Established Member
Hey, is the Boss block Aluminum or Iron?

Just curious, but I would think since the Shelby has an aluminum block that they would use that for something like the Boss. But then again, it is "just" a souped up GT, so costs might dictate Iron block.

:??:

Not sure what you consider "Suped Up" but there is quit a bit of difference between the GT and Boss engines.... It does have an Aluminium Block and heads.

"Ford has done significant upgrades compared to the 5.0L engine in the standard Mustang GT. A unique runners-in-the-box air intake allows for additional air flow, and a fortified valve train allows the engine to run to a 7500 rpm redline. Many of the internal components have been strengthened as well, such as the pistons, connecting rods and the crankshaft."
A look inside the 2012 Mustang Boss 302′s 444 horsepower V8 | Mustangs Daily

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
I don't think it is aluminum...I mean I know the Coyote engine is an aluminum block, but are you saying that the Ford modular BOSS block that is iron is not the block they're using?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
my understanding is that the block for the 5L gt and the Boss 302 are the same. the Boss has forged rods, the cylinder heads are cnc ported, the intake is different, the calibration is different.

DevilSun

Established Member
Interesting, kind of misleading to some degree to have a 5.0L modular BOSS block, and not use it in the BOSS...lol, wouldn't surprise me though I suppose

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Ok, so it sounds like we have some conflicting info :-/

Spec sheet pdf says aluminum block & heads, while "general knowledge / comments" are going with iron...

Anyone have any clarification?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You guys are getting confused by the nomenclature. The Boss 302 Mustang uses a Coyote based engine with an aluminum block. It is not based on the FRPP 5.0 iron modular Boss block which is a big bore block based on the 4.6 engine.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Besides you would not want a iron block due to front end weight. Alum ford blocks have came a long ways since 2001. I would suspect the boss 302 shortblock can handle 1k whp at least. Plenty good imo. I myself would like a boss engine modified w compression cut down some, say 9.5 or 10/1. Engine be the last of my worries instead be transmission and rear end if you s/c it. There are articles that state trimetal rod and main bearings, improved rods and pistons and 2hrs of cnc head porting. Better than the old cleveland ones imo out of the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread