Boss has a different piston now too?

RTD

Established Member
Most people are aware the late 2012's and the 2013 GT's have a different piston (and no oil squirters)

But it looks like the Boss had a piston change too.

Go to this link and search for pistons:

Buy 2012 Ford Mustang Parts | FordParts.com

The old piston:

Engine Piston
MOD 5.0L-4V Dual Over Head Cam SEFI NA ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
$36.16 Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date before: 12/7/2011

The new piston:

Engine Piston
MOD 5.0L-4V Dual Over Head Cam SEFI NA ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
$36.72 Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date after: 12/8/2011
But wait, there's more. The Boss got a piston revision for late 2012s (and presumably 2013 as well):

Engine Piston
5.0L V8 32V Dual Over Head Cam EFI Modular ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
$83.66 Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date before: 12/11/2011
Engine Piston
5.0L V8 32V Dual Over Head Cam EFI Modular ; Standard, Refer To Workshop Manual For Proper Grade Selection, Piston Only; Wrist Pin And Retainers Must Be Purchased Separately
Call Select a dealer for prices & availability
Vehicle Build Date after: 12/12/2011
I hope to ****ing god it's just the old forged Boss piston plus this new coating and that Ford didn't cheap out and try to get away with a coated hypereutectic on the new Bosses.

Hey_Its_Cole

Established Member
Most people are aware the late 2012's and the 2013 GT's have a different piston (and no oil squirters)

But it looks like the Boss had a piston change too.

Go to this link and search for pistons:

Buy 2012 Ford Mustang Parts | FordParts.com

But wait, there's more. The Boss got a piston revision for late 2012s (and presumably 2013 as well):

I hope to ****ing god it's just the old forged Boss piston plus this new coating and that Ford didn't cheap out and try to get away with a coated hypereutectic on the new Bosses.

Maybe I am daft, but where does it say the boss got a new piston? Either way, it's probably not a big deal.

RTD

Established Member
Ok question.. so what is different about the 5.0 piston after 12/8/11? I ordered mine and the car was built 12/21/11

The new ones are heat treated/coated and have modifications to the ring lands and oil drainback holes.

teamstorm02

Established Member
So because I have such a late model 2012 I do not have the oil squirters, the pistons are coated, and modification to ring lands and oil drain back holes? Mind you I do not have a boss its just a gt

RTD

Established Member
So because I have such a late model 2012 I do not have the oil squirters, the pistons are coated, and modification to ring lands and oil drain back holes? Mind you I do not have a boss its just a gt

It's pretty likely you have the new pistons. The oil squirters are an unknown - I'm not aware of anyone having torn down a 2012 to find out and Ford isn't saying anything.

johnsjmc

Established Member
In my experience piston squirters are small holes in the rods.NOT the pistons. They work by shooting a small stream of oil into the bottom of the piston from the pressurized oil supplied to the rod bearing. This cools the bottom of the piston. This technique was used in a number of engines from different manufacturers over the years. (My 1966 K code 289 had them).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread