Boss Pistons/Rods in my Coyote?

valanahara

Established Member
My car currently makes around 675 rwhp with a Paxton 2200 SL and E85. My end-goal has been and still is 800 rwhp. I do not want to push the stock rods any further than I already am at the moment.

I was quoted $1,500 in labor by my shop who's done all of the previous work on my car to drop in a forged rotating assembly. I've seen where some folks have had great results using the Boss' forged internals to push the power a littler higher, to around the 750-800 rwhp range. I do not have any plans to make more than that, and the cost point of the Boss' parts are on target for the budget.

I know folks will say if you have the engine open, why not just put some Manley's in. And that's an option. But the price factor, and my end power goals really seem like the Boss may be the perfect answer for me. Feedback wanted.

Tx5.0

Established Member
You're already going to be right there, might as well drop in the heavy duty stuff for piece of mind. Save a little bit longer bro, always best to over build since plans can always change. So if you want more power later you will be good to go!

noldevin

Established Member
You're already going to be right there, might as well drop in the heavy duty stuff for piece of mind. Save a little bit longer bro, always best to over build since plans can always change. So if you want more power later you will be good to go!

This. If you're going to have the engine torn apart anyway, might as well put some beefier parts in there, instead of stretching the boss parts to their limit.

valanahara

Established Member

I understand that, absolutely. I am just getting feedback from different walks. The biggest thing for me is the price difference. But saving longer may be an option as well.

Right now I have Manleys with hardware priced out at about $2,500

I was quoted $1,300 for brand new Boss Rods, Pistons, crank, pins, retainers, and rings. People have taken the boss well into 800rwhp. Not planning on making more than 800, it's tough to beat. So you think still worth the extra price? From what I understand, the Manleys would be good for 1,000 rwhp. So i'd still have some breathing room. But even with that, I'm gonna need a new clutch, transmission, etc. That's another reason I wanted to keep it 800 or so - so my other parts can live a little longer. But I guess that's just the thing. 800 hp and "budget" can't be used in the same sentence.

Would like to hear from some of the guys who went with the Boss components.

GBCoyote

Established Member
The block is right at the breaking point at 1000hp anyways. I'm with the other guys, over build it if you're there already. But at the same time, Boss cars are making 800 or 850 with their internals. So for an extra 100hp, is it worth the extra grand to make 900? Sure...to me it would be. It's hard to buy 100hp for 1k.

imeyers302

Established Member
Boss rods have broken on NA cars. Just do a search for boss 302 broken rod. It's still a powder forged rod and not a true forged rod like a manley H or I beam. You have spent so many thousands getting the car to where it is now. You are at the upper limits of the coyote rods now. Why be at the limit again with the boss rods. Have that cushion. If going for 800hp build for 1000hp. Don't try to save $1000 on the heart of the engine now. I am at about 600-620whp and am going with a 1000hp assembly with billet opg's next season. Plan on going to 800hp max but want the cushion. Just my $.02.

stang910

Established Member
You have spent so many thousands getting the car to where it is now. You are at the upper limits of the coyote rods now. Why be at the limit again with the boss rods.

This is pretty solid advice here. OP I responded to your PM, but not sure if you got it or not. For $1300 for rods and pistons there are better options for you to choose from. I got mine for about $750 back when Ford Racing was selling them.

KushBandit

Established Member
Boss rods have broken on NA cars. Just do a search for boss 302 broken rod. It's still a powder forged rod and not a true forged rod like a manley H or I beam. You have spent so many thousands getting the car to where it is now. You are at the upper limits of the coyote rods now. Why be at the limit again with the boss rods. Have that cushion. If going for 800hp build for 1000hp. Don't try to save $1000 on the heart of the engine now. I am at about 600-620whp and am going with a 1000hp assembly with billet opg's next season. Plan on going to 800hp max but want the cushion. Just my $.02.

I agree with this 100%. There's good reason for Ford using the Manley rods in the Aluminator engines. The Boss rods are unique to the Roadrunner engine, however they are still sinter forged powdered rods. I think the pistons are true forged pieces, but I may be wrong.

I'd be nervous to drive 800rwhp with a rod/piston combo that was only good for around 850rwhp. Gotta have a safety margin, especially if you ever want more.

valanahara

Established Member
This is pretty solid advice here. OP I responded to your PM, but not sure if you got it or not. For $1300 for rods and pistons there are better options for you to choose from. I got mine for about $750 back when Ford Racing was selling them.

Didn't get it!

I agree with all of the feedback. Manely is the real way to go. I also 100% agree that I haven't cut corners yet, why start now. The biggest kicker for me is the price as it relates to my goals. Maybe I can find some Manley stuff on back Friday or find a deal. So far, I have priced out Manely + hardware for about $2,500. Tasca has me priced out for Boss rods, pistons, rings, crank, pins for $1,225. Still a lot more than you paid though which I didn't expect.

valanahara

Established Member

Another kicker is that I am nearning the limits of my blower with 800 rwhp. Now, a 3.33 or smaller pulley getting me 11-13 PSI would probably make close to 800 or so on E85. But my timing isn't going over 22* per my tuner. He thinks with 12-13 PSI my car would make 750 on E85 and 22* of timing. If that's the case, making more power would mean turbos anyways which I absolutley do not plan on switching to. Thoughts?

valanahara

Established Member
The block is right at the breaking point at 1000hp anyways. I'm with the other guys, over build it if you're there already. But at the same time, Boss cars are making 800 or 850 with their internals. So for an extra 100hp, is it worth the extra grand to make 900? Sure...to me it would be. It's hard to buy 100hp for 1k.

An extra grand up front. Then supporting mods. My RST is rated for 800 rwhp. May last, may not. RXT would be needed. My MT82 has been a trooper too. It's taken many pulls at 600+ rwhp. But at 800 I think the borrowed time would depreciate a lot. At 900-1000, it would probably be wise to go ahead and swap it. In order for me to make 1,000 it would take a lot more. But I see the point. Build your motor with the cushion for it instead of pushing.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Didn't get it!

I agree with all of the feedback. Manely is the real way to go. I also 100% agree that I haven't cut corners yet, why start now. The biggest kicker for me is the price as it relates to my goals. Maybe I can find some Manley stuff on back Friday or find a deal. So far, I have priced out Manely + hardware for about $2,500. Tasca has me priced out for Boss rods, pistons, rings, crank, pins for $1,225. Still a lot more than you paid though which I didn't expect.

Using this mahle piston woulds save you a little coin, plus the boss pistons are mahle anyways. http://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/mahm4v167630d03.htm

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Another kicker is that I am nearning the limits of my blower with 800 rwhp. Now, a 3.33 or smaller pulley getting me 11-13 PSI would probably make close to 800 or so on E85. But my timing isn't going over 22* per my tuner. He thinks with 12-13 PSI my car would make 750 on E85 and 22* of timing. If that's the case, making more power would mean turbos anyways which I absolutley do not plan on switching to. Thoughts?

You will be right around 800 on e85 with 3.3 and a stick. I'd get an ati od pulley as well for better belt wrap and a little more boost. That would put you close to mid 800s. Spend the extra cash for the better parts.

valanahara

Established Member
You will be right around 800 on e85 with 3.3 and a stick. I'd get an ati od pulley as well for better belt wrap and a little more boost. That would put you close to mid 800s. Spend the extra cash for the better parts.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the decision is made then. I just need to go with the good stuff and do it right the first time. I do have another question for you folks. Is there a certain place to buy, or something? When I am searching for the products I need I find results like this:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/ma...CrwI7EvLIA05rxgRpRgZjKp0wh_e314cuMaAnIl8P8HAQ

^ That's Manley H-Beams with ARP2000 bolts. If you look in the description, it says "good for 700 hp at 8,000 RPMs" :|

Users who are viewing this thread