Boss rods in coyote

F8L BYT

Established Member
Basically I want to know if I can throw a set of boss rods in my coyote engine and just have it balanced, to my knowledge, the coyote and the boss pistons are the same, so I'm wondering if I can buy a set of boss rods and have the rotating assembly balanced only it would be okay and no machine work would need done

5lho

Established Member
Basically I want to know if I can throw a set of boss rods in my coyote engine and just have it balanced, to my knowledge, the coyote and the boss pistons are the same, so I'm wondering if I can buy a set of boss rods and have the rotating assembly balanced only it would be okay and no machine work would need done

Well, they aren't the same. They are different dimensionally and in the manufacturing process. Thus stronger. The cranks are identical and thus the rods'll go on no problem.

imeyers302

Established Member
Well, they aren't the same. They are different dimensionally and in the manufacturing process. Thus stronger. The cranks are identical and thus the rods'll go on no problem.

Actually they are the same in manufacturing process I believe. Both powder/sinter forged although the boss rods are slightly beefier. Forget the boss rods and just go with a true forged rod like Manley.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The boss components are a great way to get to 7-800 whp.

Rods should be a direct bolt on as should the pistons.

However it should be noted that the boss pistons are not the same as the coyote. They are forged and the coyote's are hyper.

Good, cheap way to get to 800hp strength if you can still get your hands on them.

corepwn

Established Member
While the cranks are the same size, they are balanced differently. While dropping in the boss rotating assembly is a workable idea, just throwing in the pistons and/or rods without a balancing is probably a bad idea.

imeyers302

Established Member
The boss components are a great way to get to 7-800 whp.

Rods should be a direct bolt on as should the pistons.

However it should be noted that the boss pistons are not the same as the coyote. They are forged and the coyote's are hyper.

Good, cheap way to get to 800hp strength if you can still get your hands on them.

They are both hyper. Both are powder sinter forged. The boss rods are just thicker but are manufactured the same way and are not true forgings like a manley or oliver rod. Also I believe, and I could be wrong so I apologize if I am, that with the Manley rods there is no need to rebalance.

Also I can't think of one forged bottom end package from any builder out there that uses boss rods. Most use manley. Even the aluminators from Ford use them. The manleys were also OEM on the terminator cobras.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
They are both hyper. Both are powder sinter forged. The boss rods are just thicker but are manufactured the same way and are not true forgings like a manley or oliver rod. Also I believe, and I could be wrong so I apologize if I am, that with the Manley rods there is no need to rebalance.

Also I can't think of one forged bottom end package from any builder out there that uses boss rods. Most use manley. Even the aluminators from Ford use them. The manleys were also OEM on the terminator cobras.

Again... no ... they are not hyper. They are forged and actually made by Mahle.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/11/19/2012-mustang-boss-302-sticker-wheel-package/

Also.. it would make sense to balance ANY rod/piston combo one plans on installing into an exisiting engine regardless of who makes them.

Me personally... i'd skip the balancing altogether and run it (yes.. even with the boss componenets), but to each his own.

All that said, the boss 302 equipment has taken a beating an stood up to multiple boosted cars with 7 and 800 horsepower.. its pretty well documented.

Hell.. even the 2015 s550 with hyper pistons has stood up to that number.

Last edited:

imeyers302

Established Member
Again... no ... they are not hyper. They are forged and actually made by Mahle.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/11/19/2012-mustang-boss-302-sticker-wheel-package/

Also.. it would make sense to balance ANY rod/piston combo one plans on installing into an exisiting engine regardless of who makes them.

Me personally... i'd skip the balancing altogether and run it (yes.. even with the boss componenets), but to each his own.

All that said, the boss 302 equipment has taken a beating an stood up to multiple boosted cars with 7 and 800 horsepower.. its pretty well documented.

Hell.. even the 2015 s550 with hyper pistons has stood up to that number.

Unless I am looking at it wrong it says forged pistons and upgraded sinter forged rods. The coyote rods are sintered also. The upgrade is the boss is thicker.

Coyote and Boss rods. Coyote left, boss right.

image hosting site over 5mb

Manley rods

image url upload

Totally different forging process.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg