Boss Transmission Cooler

beef97

Established Member
Thanks! Is that 20 degree temp difference noticeable only when road course racing or would it matter when driving at a steady speed for any length of time (normal everyday commute driving)? I'm just weighing the benefit of this scoop because I was thinking of using a hotchkis X brace in place of the scoop but didn't want to get rid of it if it were really shown to work. Thanks for all the great info!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've yet to see any testing documented on Hotchkis' brace where certain rigidity levels were increased and how that translated into a better performing vehicle.

For a vehicle relegated to commuting I honestly see little to no benefit from either. On a track vehicle definitely the scoop, especially if you are in a warm weather climate.

MFE

Established Member
I've lost 3rd gear in my T5's enough in my foxbody to cause me to keep a fresh rebuild back at all times, and to commit to the fact that if it happens again, I'm going Astro A5. But in the meantime, not long ago I learned from this thread that BOSS 302's come from the factory with a cooling scoop for the trans.

But I don't have a 2011+, and I'm a cheap-ass, so got to scratching my head. I stopped by Lowe's and bought a $5.95 sheet of 16-ga galvanized steel, crawled under the car, and started test-fitting and chin-scratching. Two hours later, after some minor cutting, bending, fitting, drilling, and re-fitting, I had this. It's mounted to two of the bolts that hold the front cover on the bellhousing, and the rear is secured with strap steel and some random nuts/bolts through unused holes in two ears on the trans case. Will it work? Hopefully. If not, I don't have much into it.

image_zpse736e1a7.jpg

image_zpsac0ef18b.jpg

image_zps39864fcc.jpg

barspen

Established Member
any more install stories?
I installed the Shelby scoop a few months ago. After the install, I noticed less heat radiating (above 40mph) inside the car, near the radio\e-brake\shifter. In the heat of the summer, my legs were getting very hot, especially as temps pushed above 105* outside. I have no data to back this up, just something I noticed daily driving.

Headed to the track in mid-Nov, so I'm interested to see if there is any noticeable difference as I push the car.

Couple side notes: I ordered the Shelby scoop with no finish, saved a few bucks and painted it with high temp matte black paint. Thought it looked better under the car then blue. Also, the SA scoop has a cut-out near the oil plug, so I should be able to do a oil change without removing the scoop. I'll find out soon.

Hec332

SBF W/Twin 76's Street Car
Established Member
I installed the Shelby scoop a few months ago. After the install, I noticed less heat radiating (above 40mph) inside the car, near the radio\e-brake\shifter. In the heat of the summer, my legs were getting very hot, especially as temps pushed above 105* outside. I have no data to back this up, just something I noticed daily driving.

Headed to the track in mid-Nov, so I'm interested to see if there is any noticeable difference as I push the car.

Couple side notes: I ordered the Shelby scoop with no finish, saved a few bucks and painted it with high temp matte black paint. Thought it looked better under the car then blue. Also, the SA scoop has a cut-out near the oil plug, so I should be able to do a oil change without removing the scoop. I'll find out soon.

Please keep up us updated regarding the oil change issue. I'm still undecided which one to buy. thanks

barspen

Established Member
Please keep up us updated regarding the oil change issue. I'm still undecided which one to buy. thanks

Changed the oil about 2 weeks ago on ramps. Although is was "possible" to change it with the scoop on, i didn't have a socket that was short enough to fit between the scoop gap to get the oil plug off. Could have used a ratcheting wrench, but opted to remove the scoop. Only took an extra couple minutes.

11SVTPP

Established Member
Anyone have a long term update on the trans coolers? I'd like to have one but I DD my GT500 and think it would wind up being a opossum scoop instead of a trans cooler.

Maybe just put it on for track days.

Thanks.

barspen

Established Member
3+ years running mine and haven't scooped up any animals yet...lizards and diamondbacks in my neck of the woods :)

It's mounted so it really doesn't scrape, even on speed bumps.

I notice a difference in heat radiating out of the center console for DD, but it doesn't provide that much more value. Never had any overheating issues on the track, so I'm assuming it is doing its job for that application.

I do remove it for oil changes, since it just takes an extra 2-3 mins max.

Users who are viewing this thread