Boss Transmission Cooler

DaFreak

Established Member
Hi All,

Anyone install one of these on their GT500? Does anyone know if this will fit a 2010 GT500?

M-5025-MBR.jpg

Ford Racing Performance Parts

Looks like it might be a cheap and effective mod for us.

bull3441

Established Member
Yeah, I saw that too but after just being under the car for awhile the only thing I can think of that might not make this work on our cars are the exhaust pipes.
plus we have a Tremec. scroll down and you can see the cooler http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/813281-svtperformance-brings-you-pri-2011-tons-pics-part-4-a.html

closer view here, scroll down http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/813279-svtperformance-brings-you-pri-2011-tons-pics-part-2-a.html

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I don't see it making as much difference on the T6060 as it does on the MT82. The T6060 doesn't have a heatsink on the bottom of the transmission like the MT82 does. The deflector is designed to route air through the heatsink on the MT82.

PRI_2011_Day_1-T-29.jpg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I don't see it making as much difference on the T6060 as it does on the MT82. The T6060 doesn't have a heatsink on the bottom of the transmission like the MT82 does. The deflector is designed to route air through the heatsink on the MT82.

Troy, I spent the past couple of hours studying photos that relate to this. I read your post and smiled, as I had reached the same string of logic regarding the cooling fins on the MT-82 vs the different style case on the 6060.

Then I saw the photo of the underside of the Boss 302S, with the scoop being used in concert with a T56 as opposed to the MT-82.

Boss302SwithTremecT56.jpg

I spoke to Mark Wilson about it and he was proud to proclaim that it just plain works. How much of a potential difference it could make on a GT500 - that is the question. I suspect that the only people that could benefit from it would be those that road race in warm climates.

The scoop hangs down a bit over an inch below the bottom face of the factory k-member (on the Boss, anyway).

Bosstransscoop5.jpg

I'm tempted to buy one, not worried at all about fitment. If it isn't positioned just right for our beloved 5.4/6060 combination, I'd simply make it that way, sell them through Van and be very wealthy.:p

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Won't the aluminum plate Griggs uses in place of the factory 'pencil brace' (at the rear of their k-member) preclude its use?

MFC2000.jpg

You won't have the necessary tabs that the production k-member have...

Bosstransscoop3-1.jpg

That isn't to say something couldn't be fabbed up if you so wished.

On Edit...then again, maybe the '13 PP with all the fixins will have one of these...

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Troy, I spent the past couple of hours studying photos that relate to this. I read your post and smiled, as I had reached the same string of logic regarding the cooling fins on the MT-82 vs the different style case on the 6060.

Then I saw the photo of the underside of the Boss 302S, with the scoop being used in concert with a T56 as opposed to the MT-82.

Boss302SwithTremecT56.jpg

I spoke to Mark Wilson about it and he was proud to proclaim that it just plain works. How much of a potential difference it could make on a GT500 - that is the question. I suspect that the only people that could benefit from it would be those that road race in warm climates.

The scoop hangs down a bit over an inch below the bottom face of the factory k-member (on the Boss, anyway).

Bosstransscoop5.jpg

I'm tempted to buy one, not worried at all about fitment. If it isn't positioned just right for our beloved 5.4/6060 combination, I'd simply make it that way, sell them through Van and be very wealthy.:p

Let's make an adapter bracket and put it together. Or we'll make our own if it doesn't have patent.........very well could.

I saw this on my friends Laguna Seca and the first thing that popped into my mind was..........DUH! That's perfect. Rushing air across the transmission housing regardless of cooling fins has to help keep the tranny cool. I've got a catch can on the GT500 and it's dry even after a track session but a cool transmission for open track would be a great addition for our cars. :beer:

Van@RevanRacing

Won't the aluminum plate Griggs uses in place of the factory 'pencil brace' (at the rear or their k-member) preclude its use?

MFC2000.jpg

That brace is a pivotal point in the Griggs suspension. It bolts to two of the bottom bolts on the bell housing but bolting to the bell housing is not required. Fabrication to work with the Griggs K-Member is a definite but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Van@RevanRacing

Install a trans temp gauge and do some before and after runs.

Great point. Even on the street it would be a great observation. If installing a trans temp gauge is too much of a hassle we could even use a pyrometer and shoot before and after temps.

Great observation T-

Van

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
Eric, my mechanic, will make it fit just fine...I'll let you know how it goes...and a thermocouple would be easy to install (at least for temporary use)...I'll develop a test protocol (will be a simple OFAT DoE) and post it here for review- prior to use...hopefully with and without temperature readings will be statistically different to draw a meaningful conclusion...I think probe sensitivity will be important...probably need a gauge R&R and MSA (measurement system analysis) as well...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread