Boston lag differences

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I have done nothing yet. I didn't plan on any motor upgrades, but I will now. I left the engine in the car, I just planned on having covers powdercoated.

Guess I should actually pull the engine out? I'm not trying to go wild, just don't want to have issues. I might as well though it would be easy get out of the car now how it is.

If you felt like it, I could use a rundown. I'm a great wrench, just haven't done this before.

if you keep it under 18psi I would say your just fine for the factory valve train on the turbo car.

the cost to upgrade becomes deep once you start talking about custom cams, valves, and springs.

but if you got the $$$ now and the time then go ahead and upgrade it all.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You can keep the stock valves and just go with some Brian Tooley springs to keep some more seat pressure. It would be a low cost solution that is better than nothing. However, it is cheaper to build a car once than multiple times because corners were cut. Blow-thru is a must as well, mine is switched to a blow thru with a BA-5000, I used a GT500 with a Mafia before that.

The only real concern is the factory pistons and heat. I melted my #7 on the factory shortblock making a pull into 5th gear which was dumb of me.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
You can keep the stock valves and just go with some Brian Tooley springs to keep some more seat pressure. It would be a low cost solution that is better than nothing. However, it is cheaper to build a car once than multiple times because corners were cut. Blow-thru is a must as well, mine is switched to a blow thru with a BA-5000, I used a GT500 with a Mafia before that.

The only real concern is the factory pistons and heat. I melted my #7 on the factory shortblock making a pull into 5th gear which was dumb of me.

yes brian tooley springs are a very good cheap option! I think $250 best my memory for springs and retainers.

here is the link for the springs only

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/spring-kits-for-ford-engines.html

also the BA-5000 is the meter I use also. highly recommend it

Last edited:

lilmarauder

Established Member

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into how to install them
yes brian tooley springs are a very good cheap option! I think $250 best my memory for springs and retainers.

here is the link for the springs only

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/spring-kits-for-ford-engines.html

also the BA-5000 is the meter I use also. highly recommend it
Thanks for the link. Should I just buy cams too? I mean what the hell.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Rather than cams I would pull the motor and replace the pistons with a nice custom set, upgrade to ARP bolts/studs throughout (including ARP 2000 bolts) have the heads looked over as the exhaust seats really enjoy becoming loose in 03/04 heads. If you have left over cash get ahold of Todd (NaSvt) and have him spec you some bullet cams along with retainers and springs. If you don't have the ~2000 to do that then just grab some 96-98 cobra cams, degree them along with BTR springs and enjoy faster spool and 20-30rwhp for about 500 all in (minus the degreeing parts). You can open up a pocketbook REALLY fast on a build.

Edit: Another cheap plug, I have a set of heads with 98 cams in them and the entire turbo kit with a BA-5000 and blow-thru mod.

Last edited:

lilmarauder

Established Member
cams would be a great benefit but again your wallet your budget.

bullet racing cams custom grinds I highly recommend.

http://www.bulletcams.com/
I'm probably going to look into 96-98 cobra cams and tooley springs.
Rather than cams I would pull the motor and replace the pistons with a nice custom set, upgrade to ARP bolts/studs throughout (including ARP 2000 bolts) have the heads looked over as the exhaust seats really enjoy becoming loose in 03/04 heads. If you have left over cash get ahold of Todd (NaSvt) and have him spec you some bullet cams along with retainers and springs. If you don't have the ~2000 to do that then just grab some 96-98 cobra cams, degree them along with BTR springs and enjoy faster spool and 20-30rwhp for about 500 all in (minus the degreeing parts). You can open up a pocketbook REALLY fast on a build.

Edit: Another cheap plug, I have a set of heads with 98 cams in them and the entire turbo kit with a BA-5000 and blow-thru mod.
I'm debating on this or not. I'm opening up a big threshold, of can I do it myself, or take it somewhere. I really really want to do my own work to save money.

Like I said in p.m. If the timing works out, I would love to deal

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
For your build without breaking the bank, I think 96-98 cams and BTR springs is a solid choice. If you have extra scratch I would pull the heads and have them gone through and look at some head studs. If not on pump gas and mid teens you should not have an issue. I've been down this road with several different builds and now I help others with builds. Feel free to PM me and just ask questions if you want. Always trying to help anyone with boston lag.

lilmarauder

Established Member
For your build without breaking the bank, I think 96-98 cams and BTR springs is a solid choice. If you have extra scratch I would pull the heads and have them gone through and look at some head studs. If not on pump gas and mid teens you should not have an issue. I've been down this road with several different builds and now I help others with builds. Feel free to PM me and just ask questions if you want. Always trying to help anyone with boston lag.
Thanks for reaching out with the advice. I love my mistake of calling it Boston lag.

Users who are viewing this thread