Botched rear end rebuild by the dealership??

tls1133

Established Member
Alrighty, so I bought a 09KR from a Ford dealership, with a powertrain warranty, and I immediately experienced rear end whine (car has 45k miles). I took it in to have it repaired a few weeks later as I was busy with the military and paid a $220 deductible to have it fixed. I drove it off the lot and the whine was WORSE. I took it to another Ford dealer and had their techs do an inspection. I was told the rear end was incorrectly rebuilt and I was advised to take the car back to the original dealership for repairs - which I did. After the 2nd repair? Still gear whine. Turned around that day and gave the car back, 3 weeks later I get my car back and guess what? Still an awful whine from the rear end. I want to take the car back to them but I was told it'd take months before an engineer could look at it. Ive driven my car maybe 2-3weeks since I bought it 4 months ago. My question is, what the hell do I do? Throw em my keys and hope to see my car by the coming of the new year?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Bite the bullet and find a shop that has the equipment to check the axle for true and does gear sets all the time. My local 4x4 shop does all my work. If the axle isn't true, they can change gears all day long and not fix issue.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
That's interesting.

The car's designated as KR's on the Ford assembly line were fitted with a "Special Edition" 3.73 axle assembly before they were shipped to Shelby to complete the conversion. I have one of those assemblies on my '09 (they were also used on the Bullitt cars) and it has been whine free since inception.

I'd see if you can find out who the previous owner was, contact them, and try to get a sense as to how hard the car was run.

tls1133

Established Member
I bought it with 45k on the clock, previous (and only other) owner put nitto 05s on the back, added an aftermarket heat exchanger and bmr suspension (lcas, panhard). I was told the pinion depth was incorrectly set, but I haven't looked at It myself. I have a reputable speed shop in town I'm taking it to - I just don't think I should pay for the entire repair when Fords techs should be on top of it.

tls1133

Established Member
I'd have to check. Why wouldn't it? People relocate all the time and it'd be shady if I was only allowed to use one local dealership.

Imatk

Established Member
Sounds like the guys at the dealership you went to don't have a clue about installing gears.

You need someone that knows that they're doing.

Hell I bought used gears from a guy on here and had my mechanic install them and he had to guess because they were used.... quiet as a church mouse.

Find a good shop and be done with it. Don't take it back to that dealership.

tls1133

Established Member
Yeah, this thing groans and moans under acceleration 30-40mph and 60mph+. Ill definitely look to a professional for the install. I'm just peeved I had to deal with this and got the whole "Billy-Bob has been a mechanic for 30 years and he doesn't mske mistakes"

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Billy bob also doesnt give a shit apparently about contact pattern and backlash.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I bought it with 45k on the clock, previous (and only other) owner put nitto 05s on the back, added an aftermarket heat exchanger and bmr suspension (lcas, panhard). I was told the pinion depth was incorrectly set, but I haven't looked at It myself. I have a reputable speed shop in town I'm taking it to - I just don't think I should pay for the entire repair when Fords techs should be on top of it.

Could have a bent axle. Someone just posted up how he blew out the driveshaft and bent the axles using Nitto NT-05Rs, at stock power levels, at the track. What tires are on the back now?

railroad

Established Member
I am sure you have gear issues, but the after market suspension will add some noise to the game. The whine, definitely gears. Unless the mech took all of the backlash out, the groan could be just the suspension bushings asking for syn grease.

tls1133

Established Member
Correction, the tires are nt555s on the rear and stock goodyear f1s up front. There's some road noise but its definitely not what I'm complaining about. At 60-70mph it whines as I'm touching the throttle and sounds like the gears are slapping together. Perhaps its a driveshaft issue as well? I get a lot of popping noise when shifting at lower speeds, 1-3 gears. Noise comes from drive shaft area/rear end

Users who are viewing this thread