Bought a 07 GT500 that was sitting for 2 years

Justtanotheraccountt

Established Member
Hi All,

I just bought a 07 gt500, vert with 45k miles from the first owner. The car was sitting for 2.5 years because the car developed a rod knock (we think) right before the owner had a heart attack. Needless to say, the owner focused on other things and just recently posted the car for sale. So the car was sitting from mid 2015 - today. I received a video of it started and knocking about 2 days before I bought it (bought yesterday). It hasn't been started since.

I am bringing it directly to a shop via rollback and received a quote of around $5,000 from a reputable shop to rebuild the engine with close to stock parts. Thoughts on the price? I bought the car for 10k, so I should be in good shape when all said and done (as long as nothing major pops up).

Question: obviously the car will need a really good detail, new tires, new rotors. What else should I do before driving the car after sitting for over 2 years? brake lines? Transmission fluid? The motor oil and radiator will be fresh after the rebuild. Any other tips? I am hoping the transmission is in good shape as I didnt have a chance to drive it, but the seller seemed honest, so we will see.

Thanks,

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Wow that sounds like a nice deal. I’d use this opportunity to upgrade the bottom end in case you decide to turn up the boost at a later date.

I’d change all fluids, including brake fluid, tranny, rear end, and flush the gas tank. I’d think a new oil pump and water pump should be on the parts list also. And since the clutch is going to be right there in front of you maybe upgrade or at least replace it.

How about some pics?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Definitely upgrade rods and pistons since it is coming apart.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
There's another thread concerning the availability of iron blocks. I'd check with Ford to see if the Cobrajet short block is even available.

I echo upgrading the rods at a minimum.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Remove the fuel pump assembly from the tank and visually inspect them and the pre-filters, then check the tank. Also replace the fuel filter in addition to replacing all of the fluids.

RBB

Established Member
For about $5K you can rebuild that engine with better than stock parts. Rebuild the bottom end to handle around 1,000hp and think about some cams since you’re going to have the engine torn down anyways.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@Justtanotheraccountt

The block is most likely good. Very easy to repair and build. Id personally go with this kit from MMR and rebuild your short block to handle 1000.

MMR Street Mod 1000 5.4 Rotating Assembly Lightning/ F150 /GT500 [501000RA] - $2,299.99 : Modular Motorsports, Home of the Worlds Fastest Modular Engines

Whether you actually decide to chase that power is up to you. If its going to live at stock 2007 GT500 power levels, it will last forever with proper maintenance.

Buying the FRPP 5.4 block is a great option, but you still pay the labor to have the engine torn down and rebuilt. This will save some cash and let you use the original block keeping it numbers matching. It may not be something that matters to you and thats ok. But if you decide to sell, it may to some potential buyers

Also, if its got the factory boat anchor harmonic balancer you want that thing off ASAP. Those have been known to snap crankshafts. 2008 and up balancers or a good ATI or IW balancer are solid.

A billet set of oil pump gears and crank sprocket are a good idea if you decide you want to use a 2 step launch controller in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread