Bought a new car hauler. How to store correctly?

MTBSully

Established Member
Been looking for a while and finally scored a brand new car trailer. 2018 Sure-Trac 7x20 10k GVWR steel deck! I wanted 10k to be able to haul 1 ton trucks (f350, f350 etc) if I find good deals on them, and I like the steel deck because I hate how wood deck looks like crap shortly after purchase. All LED lighting, sealed wiring harness, electric brakes on both axles etc.

Problem is, where I am storing it is in my backyard in the corner on the grass. I would like the trailer to stay nice, but I am concerned that parking on the grass may cause the underside components to corrode faster than usual. The entire underside is powdercoated, but still. Should I buy a tarp and cover it, or would that trap even more moisture? Id like to avoid it but maybe I need to put down some pavers and some sort of moisture blocking sheet below it? Really just looking for any tips here!

2017_Sure-Trac_7_x_20_Steel_Deck_Car_Hauler7k_5pwldI.jpg

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Nice score.
If you can get some crushed stone down that would be better than a tarp.
The tarp will "pool" water and create issues for that frame.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I've had my open steel deck trailer for 2 years now, I park it on asphalt next to my garage and don't keep it covered. It still looks close to new, other than wear from use.

coposrv

Established Member
I would see if you can get a small pad made of either compacted gravel or T base. I also use fluid film on the underside of my powerstroke and on my plow frame and sander. It'll stay almost wet but it keeps the stuff from rusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08mojo

Established Member
I'd put down some weed block material and cover it with gravel. This is how our trailers are stored at our warehouse--we have a couple of gooseneck, flat bed trailers that have been out there for close to 10 year. No corrosion issues at all--and all we do is occasionally spray weed killer and the lot looks great too.

I would strongly suggest some sort of covers for the tires. Our biggest problem is UV exposure to the tires and dry rot.

MTBSully

Established Member
Might just throw a tarp over in for now to cover the deck and tires. Not sure I want to tear up my grass just yet.

_Snake_

Established Member
Personally I’d go with no tarp. All that’s going to do is trap water underneath it. Think about car covers and what folks are using. Definitely not tarps. Ever.

LXZ06

If you are leaving it on the grass for an extended period of time then the grass will die anyway from lack of sun. I agree with putting gravel down if its going to be there permanently.

Users who are viewing this thread