bought a new car today!

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
well not really,but its new to me. its a 67 mustang coupe,289w/ a 3 speed auto.it runs and drives great,the body is in excellent condition,and the interior needs just a little work.

sometimes a bad situation for one,leads to a great oppurtunity for me!ill post some pics later in the week.

ps. is 2,500 a good price:D :rockon:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Without the pics it's hard to tell if the price was right. But I would think if the outside is good then your right on and got a great deal. Numbers matching?

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Without the pics it's hard to tell if the price was right. But I would think if the outside is good then your right on and got a great deal. Numbers matching?
its never been wrecked,the panels all line up right,the doors,trunk,and hood all close with little to no effort.theres minor surface rust in some areas.the crome trim is all original and all there.im not shure if the #s match ,but it doesent matter.i have some plans for this one!(something like,500+ci bbf carbed,built auto,mini tubbed,etc)this is going to be fun!

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
it should have a C4, a relatively reliable transmission :-D

The rearend isn't the strongest, but should be fine unless you plan on modding it a lot.

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by forged5.4dohc
snail50,i see that you have a 67,is there some problem areas or anything that i should look for?

Let's see.....

Rust. These cars weren't supposed to last 37+ years, so things weren't fully prepped and sealed on the inside panels. You're gonna have rust, no matter how clean the car looks, it just depends on how much.

Common areas are:

Lower edges of the doors, particularly the lower front corner. Also the front quarters right under where the running horse and "MUSTANG" lettering is. Low on the rear quarters in front & behind the tire.

A HUGE rust problem area is the cowl ( the area underneath the vent right in front of your windshield. A good way to check to see if this is rusted through is to pour a few cups of water in through the cowl vents; if water leaks inside the interior footwell, particularly on the driver's side, then your cowl is shot. To fix this correctly requires almost complete disassembly of the front end & separating a few hundred spot welds, so most people just go up under the dash and liberally seal the area with that tarry underbody coating stuff.

Whether yours leaks or not, I recommend getting a cowl cover from one of the vintage Mustang shops...it's a clear plastic cover that attaches to the vents and seals the area neatly. Not too much $, and doesn't look bad....the only problem is that your windshield washer nozzles are now covered up, but that could be rectified with some creative Dremel artistry....

Floor pan rust is another biggie, and you usually won't be able to see this from underneath the car; you'll have to pull up the carpet to check.

The trunk decklids are also likely to rust along the rear lip where the "MUSTANG" lettering is.

I can't think of any other major rust areas. Mechanically these cars are very straightforward. I recommend getting an actual 1967 Mustang shop manual (don't waste your $ on Haynes or Chiltons); it's what the mechanics use and is very comprehensive.

Very likely your car "wanders" a little as you drive it down the road. This is due to the steering box, which is probably worn out. YOu can fix this with a rebuilt/re-engineered steering box (500-800), or convert to rack & pinion (lots of $$$$, and probably not worth it).

Suspension and brake work is very easy, providing that the nuts and bolts aren't seized/rusted (mine weren't, thanks no doubt to 37 years of garage pampering.)

Alright, lets hear some details about the car. 2V 289; automatic. What else? does it have A/C? Deluxe interior/exterior? turn signal hood?

I don't know how much you know about these cars, but if you have any questions, send me a PMand I'll try to help. Mine is my second 67, and I've spent a lot of time researching things, so maybe I can save you some time & headaches.

Mine is the origial Dark Moss Green, standard interior w/deluxe exterior (exterior decor group), factory air conditioning. It was completely stock when I bought it (from the 3rd owner, who won 30 trophies with it in shows)...I replaced the entire suspension, to include subframe connectors, and converted to 4 wheel disc brakes. I'm hoping to put a 331 or 347 stroker in it next.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Congrats! :beer:

Ben, post up some picture of the bitch for encouragement ;-)
Now your car is BAD ASS! :rockon:

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase. My cousin has a 67 vert. Its in excellent condition(red w/ black int and black top and torq thrust 2's to name a few, oh a W and c4 also). I'll try to get him to drive it to the hammond car show, though he'll probably be there in his 01 cobra. Post some pics.

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
hehehe,paitence is a virtue.my girl has my digital camera in n.orleans,but she's coming to see me tomm.,so i can post some pics.

i was too drunk sat.to remember to get it from her,i might even post some of us at cafe banquet(we were SMASHED).

Users who are viewing this thread