Bought my old 1996 Cobra back

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I haven’t posted here in years, but I just recently got my old Cobra convertible back that I sold in 2015 and I’m very happy to finally have it back. This was my first car that I bought when I was 15 back in ‘09 from my uncle who had owned it since ‘03. I made a lot of great memories in it in high school and learned how to work on cars using it with the help of this forum, but once I started working and realized I could get something newer with a little debt, I ended up trading it in on a 2007 GT. That was a huge mistake as the trans started slipping in that car after a month so eventually I traded up to a 2014 GT and now a 2017 GT. None of those cars ever filled the hole the Cobra left though.

I tried my best to keep up with who bought the Cobra afterwards and it ended up with 3 different owners. One day in 2017, I randomly saw the second owner filling it up at a gas station, so I pulled in to talk and he let me drive it. We became friends and once he decided to sell it in 2019, we agreed on a price. It was tax season though and I got shafted that year so I lost the chance and he sold it to the next guy. Thankfully he gave the third owner my info and he contacted me on social media. We stayed in touch and after he only put 1k miles on it in the last 4 years, he reluctantly agreed to a price since he knew its sentimental value to me, and I finally picked it up last month.

I sold it with 149k miles, and now it’s at 171k and needs a laundry list of maintenance. The top is splitting in a few spots where it’s tight, the radio doesn’t work, the ball joints are nearly wore out, and it was throwing two CEL codes for not coming up to temp properly and something emissions related. I replaced the thermostat first and found that someone had removed it completely so once I did that and the system pressurized, the Mishimoto radiator I put in it back in 2011 started spewing of course. Now that I put replaced the radiator, I’ve noticed the infamous throw out bearing squeak which sucks because I also put a whole Ram clutch kit in it with Ford bearings in 2011 when it started squeaking, so now I get to do that again lol. Like I told my wife though I’d buy the car back even if it didn’t have an engine anymore because I just missed it.

Ive also ordered Koni shocks, c/c plates, and H&R SS springs because I never liked the small drop the Eibach pro-kits gave it. Now I’m trying to find an H pipe and catback to replace the X and dumps on it someone put on it, but I’m not having much luck finding an H for these years.

Sorry for the long post, I’m just ecstatic to have it back. Here’s a few pics
65537998-0B2C-4A79-A80E-9517313C4D5F.jpeg
This was when my uncle first took me out to teach me how to drive the manual
99B5B5D8-82D0-42C0-8E51-3C72FA9ACB6C.jpeg
A small car show I entered in 2011
A89A3FA7-0BA4-401C-A5C0-35A108AC8C9F.jpeg
After I did FR500s, HO Fibertrends cowl, and S281 spoiler in 2012
6B50267E-FD90-4C95-A970-B92F20433FE5.jpeg
When I found it in 2017 and got to drive it
84D4EBAC-A5D0-4C07-85D1-E874A85235EC.jpeg
The day I drove it home last month
7326149C-3B43-477C-AAA1-21C858A96A40.jpeg
And finally after I got home, next to my VMP coyote

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I installed all the suspension parts this past weekend, but it didn’t even cross my mind that spring isolators weren’t included with the springs. I don’t get a lot of time to use lifts at work so I made a rushed decision to use heater hose because the old isolators were shot, and I think thats why I’m still not satisfied with the stance the car has now. I would just run without them if squeaking didn’t drive me crazy but I know it would. Maybe this will be a good reason to sell the 17” FR500s though.
61EAB39E-C316-4DEF-B170-D6C130488DD6.jpeg
E4DEAE2A-2DE8-4E7F-882D-D4724C5E4D5D.jpeg
C0C2F39F-9D9E-4BF9-B080-67D9082B5AEE.jpeg

After comparing the before and after pics, it does sit a bit lower in the front. I just wanted the rear to sit lower and get away from the raked stance. I’m contemplating just ordering some new isolators to see if it’ll sit any lower compared to the hose I used, but if I tear it all apart again then I’d like to replace the rear control arms too. Originally I planned to only have to replace the convertible top when I bought this car back but that still hasn’t happened yet with everything else popping up lol

Last edited:

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Cool story! I think it sits pretty nicely. Having had 2 convertible New Edges, I would do the top ASAP. The suspension can wait. It sits decent and will settle once the springs are in it for a bit (assuming they are brand new).

Does it have 4.10s yet?

Users who are viewing this thread