bounces burning out

ksizzle

Established Member
my friend just got an '02 L / stock except for exhuast. And when he does a burn out you can see the tail end bounce up and down pretty good until they start spinnin fast then its ok, but i've never seen this before my other friend had a '99 L and it didnt do this? KNOW WHY?

tweetersvt

Established Member
it's called wheel hop, it happens when your tires spin and catch traction. When your tires catch traction it causes the leafsprings to flex (axle wrap) and when the spring reaches it's max flexpoint (load) it springs back to it's normal position. If he hastractiobars, the same effect happens only this now it's the tires that are loading and unloading. In any case it's normal, but if he don't find the right speed/rpm to keep it from "hopping" it can cause damage to your drivetrain. Hope this helps.

OH-MAN

Established Member
The hopping will be followed by a big boom when something lets go. Get some kind of traction bars ASAP.

Noisycow

Mods B4 Food and Water
Established Member
Lightning Larry took off his traction bars for me for my 750 mile trip driving home (bought his truck). Had to pull over in a few rest stops and fry 'em leaving .:0 .. hop hop. Put them back on when I got back into PDX and now burn offs are rock steady. Helped me smoke with first ricer on Sunday! Tricked out Honda w/ 4' exhaust. He had all the neon (makes it faster) - extinguisher mounted on the dash, arm hanging out the car, ****y as hell - he did not like losing in a short 10mph-60mph race. Gotta admit - it was a blast and I don't even have a pulley/chip yet.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
if he keeps doing that the boy is gona granade the rear end
get some traction bars and tell him to stop doin that stupid shyt!
he isnt gona think its funny when he is putting a rear end in it

ksizzle

Established Member
where can you get these traction bars and how much? Sorry if this is stupid but why arent they on there in the 1st place?

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
not on there in the first place cause ford didnt build the truck to do burn outs or race
i bet if he lowers the rear end it wont bounce ( shackles)
you can get slapper style bars for like 300 or about that anyway

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Jegs or Summit Racing has Lakewood slapper style bars for less than a $100 (without shipping). I would pass along eveyone's advice and tell your buddy to stop doing that. If a u-joint lets go and he's doesn't have a driveshaft safety loop, life is going to suck. Nothing like a big-a$#*d aluminum stick swinging around underneath the bed, oh by the way right by the gas tank.

I am with Lightningmike about the shackles. I put Eibach drop shackles on mine and burnouts are rocksteady, even without any kind of traction bar.

Rob

OH-MAN

Established Member
Lakewoods will do the job fine, As the HP goes up you may want to go to more expensive types. DS loops are also highly recomended as you will do some damage if it breaks exhaust system, fuel tank, sparks, fire all bad things at speed .

Users who are viewing this thread