BOV Vented or Recirculated

Sneeks2nv

Fully Built, Inc.
Established Member
i was just wondering how you guys are running your BOV's Vented or Recirculated back into the exhuast? pros/ cons? i am not a 100% on what i want to do at this point and am looking for opinions and advice. thanks guys

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
i was just wondering how you guys are running your BOV's Vented or Recirculated back into the exhuast? pros/ cons? i am not a 100% on what i want to do at this point and am looking for opinions and advice. thanks guys

I'm guessing since you mentioned recirculated back into the exhaust you actually mean "wastegates" not BOVs correct?

As far as which way with the wastegates, it's user preferrence, and how complicated it may be to route back into the exhaust!

Vented to atmosphere, the exhaust note will be louder at WOT when the wastegates open....some people like it some don't.

Recirculated back into the exhaust, will keep it quieter when the wastegates open, since the vented exhaust gas is going thru the mufflers with the rest!

Hope this helps!
Ken

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Edited for less confusion. I'm well aware a BOV doesn't recirculate to the exhaust... I've never heard anyone call a wastegate recirculated, just dumped or not.

Last edited:
Nope, pretty sure he meant blow off valves.

Sneeks, look at it this way. If your turbo is before the MAF (blow through), you can run the BOV before the MAF as well and run it vented to the atmosphere (VTA). If your MAF is right after the filter and before the turbo, you have to run the BOV after the turbo and recirculate it back to the piping between the MAF and turbo. It sounds confusing but it isn't. The BOV is always after the turbo, and the BOV and turbo are always on the same side of the MAF. Since you can't vent metered air, you can only run VTA if the BOV is before the MAF.

This might already be designed into whatever turbo system you pick, so you actually might not have a choice. I think the HP kit runs dual BOV's that are VTA. Hellion runs a single BOV that is recirulated.

Oh yeah, the BOV is going to be much louder if you run VTA. Some people like the sound, others don't, its up to you. I personally love the sound.

Haha, acronyms are fun.
You can't vent a blow-off valve by having it recirculate into the exhaust. You can only have the wastegate recirculate back into the exhaust.

So either this guy was asking if he can have his wastegate vent back into the exhaust (which he can), or he was asking if he should have his blow-off valve recirculate back into the coldside, which it would be better to just have it NOT recirculate. But it depends on what kit he gets and if his kit comes with a blow-off valve or a bypass valve (which would actually be set up to recirculate most likely). Whatever kit he gets will most likely determine that.

By the way...if you were asking about the wastegate I would have it vent into the air (and not recirculate) because it will work better and control the boost better unless you can't stand the noise of it. I don't personally mind it, it's not that bad....but some people hate it.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Nope, pretty sure he meant blow off valves.

Sneeks, look at it this way. If your turbo is before the MAF (blow through), you can run the BOV before the MAF as well and run it vented to the atmosphere (VTA). If your MAF is right after the filter and before the turbo, you have to run the BOV after the turbo and recirculate it back to the piping between the MAF and turbo. It sounds confusing but it isn't. The BOV is always after the turbo, and the BOV and turbo are always on the same side of the MAF. Since you can't vent metered air, you can only run VTA if the BOV is before the MAF.

This might already be designed into whatever turbo system you pick, so you actually might not have a choice. I think the HP kit runs dual BOV's that are VTA. Hellion runs a single BOV that is recirulated.

Oh yeah, the BOV is going to be much louder if you run VTA. Some people like the sound, others don't, its up to you. I personally love the sound.

Haha, acronyms are fun.

He has the CPE single turbo, so it's not exactly an option to recirculate the BOV. That along with his statement of running back into the exhaust makes his question lean far more towards the wastegates than BOV!

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
mehh..vent it all..be as loud as possible so people get outta the way

Sneeks2nv

Fully Built, Inc.
Established Member
yes i also meant the wastegate, i get them confused sometimes. so far i think i am also ganna recirculate the wastegate into the exhaust. but we will see

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The only difference is noise level. If its plumbed into the exhaust, you'll be able to hear the turbo a lot more and the only sounds will be turbo and exhaust. It can be plumbed anywhere in the exhaust after the turbo. If you dump the wastegate, it will be loud as hell when it opens and make it hard to hear the turbo.

The only difference is noise level. If its plumbed into the exhaust, you'll be able to hear the turbo a lot more and the only sounds will be turbo and exhaust. It can be plumbed anywhere in the exhaust after the turbo. If you dump the wastegate, it will be loud as hell when it opens and make it hard to hear the turbo.

:kaboom:

The only difference will NOT just be the noise level.

A wastegate vented to the atmosphere will be more efficient at regulating boost, compared to that same wastegate if it was vented back into the exhaust piping.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Don't think that would make that much of a difference. Just get a boost controller.

Don't think that would make that much of a difference. Just get a boost controller.

The best boost controller in the world won't help if your wastegate can't handle what it needs to do.

Obviously the best option would be to just get a bigger wastegate if your issue was that you couldn't regulate the boost down to where you want it. But having it dump to the atmosphere can also help...which is all I was saying. The best controller in the world wouldn't be able to do anythign if the wastegate wasn't efficient enough. Which was the question at hand...not what the best boost controller is.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

Where do you get this information from? Dont take this as a shot at you but if you do not know what you are talking about, dont post.

The only difference is NOT noise level. yes if you dump the gate it will obviously be louder, but thats not it. If you have the gate dumping into the downpipe and you have a small DP, this can cause performance issues, affect spool time, and power losses. Like mentioned, it can also cause other problems with the wastegate like boost creep or boost falling off. It all depends on how the kit is setup and the placement of the gate. The gate being in the wrong spot can cause issues as well.

Again where do you come up with this shit? A boost controller isnt the end all to making your boost "work" correctly and/or efficiently. Also like mentioned the best boost controller in the world couldnt fix a wastegate thats not placed properly or setup correctly.

Do the other people reading the boards a favor that do not know about turbos and research this stuff before you assume. Why dont you check out www.turbomustangs.com There is alot of GOOD information, maybe you can learn a thing or 2 about how turbos and wastegates work before posting false information.

I dont have a problem hearing my Turbo with my wastegate vented to the atmosphere. :burn: If I run the gate off the spring, then yes its very loud because the gate is fully opened. But the more you crank the boost up and the more that gate closes, the more you hear the turbo.

1)yeah it won't make a night/day difference...but venting the wastegate to atmosphere will make the entire turbo kit work more efficiently either way you look at it. How much really depends on the entire setup.

2)Juiced46.....looks like a sweet ass car you have there. Really liking it.

3)sunburned should stop posting up BS that people might end up believing if they don't know any better.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Where do you get this information from? Dont take this as a shot at you but if you do not know what you are talking about, dont post.

The only difference is NOT noise level. yes if you dump the gate it will obviously be louder, but thats not it. If you have the gate dumping into the downpipe and you have a small DP, this can cause performance issues, affect spool time, and power losses. Like mentioned, it can also cause other problems with the wastegate like boost creep or boost falling off. It all depends on how the kit is setup and the placement of the gate. The gate being in the wrong spot can cause issues as well.

Again where do you come up with this shit? A boost controller isnt the end all to making your boost "work" correctly and/or efficiently. Also like mentioned the best boost controller in the world couldnt fix a wastegate thats not placed properly or setup correctly.

Do the other people reading the boards a favor that do not know about turbos and research this stuff before you assume. Why dont you check out www.turbomustangs.com There is alot of GOOD information, maybe you can learn a thing or 2 about how turbos and wastegates work before posting false information.

I dont have a problem hearing my Turbo with my wastegate vented to the atmosphere. :burn: If I run the gate off the spring, then yes its very loud because the gate is fully opened. But the more you crank the boost up and the more that gate closes, the more you hear the turbo.

+100

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Just imagine, this whole issue could have been avoided if the original poster had just said wastegate instead of BOV... then I wouldn't have replied :bored:

Sneeks2nv

Fully Built, Inc.
Established Member
hey i never said that i was right or wrong and no one told you to post anything on something your not knowledgeable on? thats why i asked, b-cuz i didnt know. i wasnt giving advice, so dont blame me b-cuz u got flamed.

Users who are viewing this thread