Braille lightweight batteries

03 silver cobra

Established Member
Anyone using these batteries? Just curious how they hold up in street cars under daily use?

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
I have one...but mines not a daily...if you don't daily it you have to use a trickle charger...and even then the damn thing might still die on you...however they do honor their warranty(my first one died but the car pretty much sat for 4 months with no charger on it)....for its looks and lightweight they are good but don't expect it to last a long time like a standard battery. Also they like most batteries are made by East Penn and relabeled so you might save some money just finding the same sized East Penn. The reason I got one is because I installed an NX SAFE kit and had to relocate the battery.

03 silver cobra

Established Member
I have one...but mines not a daily...if you don't daily it you have to use a trickle charger...and even then the damn thing might still die on you...however they do honor their warranty(my first one died but the car pretty much sat for 4 months with no charger on it)....for its looks and lightweight they are good but don't expect it to last a long time like a standard battery. Also they like most batteries are made by East Penn and relabeled so you might save some money just finding the same sized East Penn. The reason I got one is because I installed an NX SAFE kit and had to relocate the battery.

Ok good info... I was trying to figure why the are rated in pca vs. cca but because it's so small I figured it wouldn't hold the peak cranking amps as long as a standard batt.

reldla1996

Established Member
I had a braille battery in my Nissan 350, bought one that was 22 pounds, and it lasted 2.5 years. Had an Odyssey battery in my 89 Mustang for a while, again about 20 pounds, and it lasted about the same. They worked perfectly, saved 15-20 pounds, but have a shorter lifespan.

FastlaneParts

Established Member
Ok good info... I was trying to figure why the are rated in pca vs. cca but because it's so small I figured it wouldn't hold the peak cranking amps as long as a standard batt.

The difference is that the Braille is an AGM battery vs Lead-Acid. AGM batteries don't have liquid electrolyte in the battery, instead they have an acidic fiberglass matt sandwiched between the lead plates. Because of the close-quarters between the plates and matt, sulfation is more likely to occur when sitting than in a standard lead-acid battery. All AGM Battery manufacturers will recommend keeping a float charge on a battery that is going to be unused for any extended amount of time.

Which brings me to the float charge - It is very important that a charger used on an AGM battery be rated for AGM usage. AGM batteries are not usually vented, and overcharging can result in the battery being permanently damaged. I have seen AGM batteries swell-up like a balloon due to overcharging. Otherwise, the method of charging an AGM battery is similar to a lead-acid with the exception of how the charge is pulsed. Again, an AGM approved charger is the only way to charge an AGM battery.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread