brake cooling

fiveoguy

Established Member
Going to be installing some brake cooling ducts for the front brakes. I'm looking for any clever ideas anyone may have had success with. So far, the only manufactured kits I've seen are the cobra r carbon fiber one from Sean Hyland that costs $250 (yeah right) and griggs makes one that I believe is only for coil over setups. Right now, best idea I've seen is
http://www.tcmotorsports.net/Mustangs/01brakeducts.htm

If anyone has a better setup for cheap, please share.

Thanks!

fiveoguy

Established Member
Thanks coleman...the B&D kits looks ok, but I'm not sure about the plastic and the low temp hose. The brakes are going to be running well over 1000 degrees at times, and I woudn't think plastic would last very long near those kind of temps. Also, I'm trying to get air as close to the center of the rotor as possible, that kit looks like it just kind of blows air on the back of the rotor. While thats better than nothing, I've heard of people having rotors crack all to pieces from cooling the back side more than the front...stresses the metal pretty hard.

I can't believe you are running that much power on a road course without brake cooling. How well do your brakes hold up on the track? What kind of pads do you run?

maoun

Established Member
me and more than 20 cars i race with run the B&D kit...never a problem, love it to death.

DEFINITELY felt the difference.....so i'm biased :)

pretty hard to get to the center of the rotor on a stang...

btw--i was with bruce griggs on saturday...they do NOT currently offer a kit and are looking to deploy this one

m.

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by fiveoguy
...I can't believe you are running that much power on a road course without brake cooling. How well do your brakes hold up on the track? What kind of pads do you run?
I upgraded to the '00R Brembo 4-piston brakes and they've held up great ... so far. I'm not pushing my car to it's potential, but I am pushing a little more now that my brakes are more consistent.
Next up is the brake cooling...
Oh, they are the stock '00R pads ... "G"-something. They don't have any stress relief in the middle of the pad.

predator

Established Member
:shrug: Plastic? The bdracing kit has a bolton metal shield with flange to attach your duct. Seems to be a pretty good kit and works well for quite a few folks I have talked to. If you are local I will invite you to come see it in person and then make up your mind. :thumbsup:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I used the high temp silicone/fiberglass hose with no spindle duct at all...
Hose was about $60.00...plus $10.00 freight
plus 2 hose clamps and about 12 hd ties..
Put in fresh Ford brake fluid...
No brake fade at TWS event
I did run in the novice run group(1st timer)....but I passed all but one guy...
Car is bone stock!!
Easy mod if you take the fog lamp bezels out the front to attach the hoses...
Pics
DuctInstalledLh1.jpg

DuctInstalledLh2.jpg

DuctInstalledLh3.jpg

different tracks are probably harder on the brakes than TWS....
But I was very pleased..........and did it on the cheap!!!

Jimmy:thumbsup:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'll post the link up when I get home tonight....
I don't have it at work...
I did a google search and didn't see the same name(plus I don't have a whole lot of time at work...... techs want parts!!!)
I'll post it tonight :thumbsup:
Jimmy:beer:

fiveoguy

Established Member
Jimmy, your setup looks like the best bang for the buck, and exactly what I was planning. Glad to hear somebody else has tested it out first :)

What kind of pads did you run?

Users who are viewing this thread