Brake disassembly??????

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
OK I looked in the how to area and did a search and didn't find what I was looking for so I have a stupid question. I want to paint my calipers and I bought a can of the Duplicolor spray. I would like to take the calipers completely off the car to clean and prep. I already had the calipers and rotor off for an 03 control arm install and I saw the thread on how to take them apart for pad install. What I want to know about is removing the banjo bolt from the caliper to clean and prep it seperately. I have done pads before but have never removed the brake line so I am wondering, what will happen upon removal? Obviously some fluid is going to come out but how much? Will it partially drain the system? Will I have to have big buckets under the brake lines to catch alot of fluid or will just some come out and then stop? I assume it's not like a fuel line where you can just prop it up in the air with a rag shoved in it. I am no brake guru so take it easy on me lol and any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:beer:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I just did my fronts. I capped them off at the lines with some rubber caps I got at Home Depot. You should be able to come up with something. I would buy some new crush washers before putting them back on. Not too much fluid leaked out. Put a couple layers of news paper under it and it should be fine. Screw the bolts back into the calipers (hand tight) to partially block them off while painting. Or just let them drip over a catch can. Do a full fluid flush when it is all back together.

The rears may be more of a PITA than you think because I have heard the E-brake cable is a biatch to put back on.

Last edited:

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey thanks for the info. Where did you find the rubber caps at Home Depot were they in the harware section with all the special bolts and washers?

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I took mine apart at the hard lines, so I just guessed what size in hardware would fit. You could just go to the auto parts store and get some misc assortment of caps.

I did my rears a couple years ago and left the e-brake line on. I put the car cover on the car, cut a star in a large piece of cardboard to push the caliper through. Then painted them still attached. LOL at myself...

Users who are viewing this thread