Brake Ducting Pics?

Fast GTO

Established Member
Anyone have a pic of how they ran their ducts? First time I ran it they came apart fast from the zip ties and were very difficult to route without rubbing on full lock.

Anyone considered running solid tubing?

I need some idea's.

On a separate note I was curious if anyone was running kenny brown rear upper and lower tubular control arms.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Here's some pics of mine. The inlets on my backing plates angle up more than many do, so my routing may be a little odd.

Out with the old.
oldduct1.gif

noguard2.gif

noguard1.gif

newduct4.gif

newduct3.gif

newduct2.gif

This setup's been in for a year now and no real rubbing or crimping. :D

Last edited:

WPBcobra

Established Member
I like the way gcassidy is running the hoses i have been having problems with running mine i am going to have to try it that way next time

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member

This is the best picture I have of the front ducting. They are ran exactly like gcassidy's. Not the best for flow, but nothing rubs. I have the 99-04 GT bumper, no fog lights. The 3" hose is zip tied to the mounting holes. It needs backing plates at the bumper to jam the air in there better.

This is what I did with the leftover hose for the rear. I don't know if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Back-N-Black

Established Member
pb130022.jpg

You can't see in this picture but I wrapped duct tape around the hose where the ducting touches the metal shroud for the radiator.

pb120013.jpg

I could not get the hose attached without pulling this out first.

Back-N-Black

Established Member
I wanted to murder someone when I connected the hose to the front. How do you take it out like you did?

Me too! Hah.

If I remember right, there is one screw. Then just punch it out. It just snaps in there, sort of a pressure type fit. I have an 03 so I am guessing that it's the same for everyone.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
OK, I'm now ashamed to say my car is officially the dirtiest there is.
But that's what happens when you go off in T-2 in the mud at VIR. :shrug:

wheelhopper

Established Member
^Don't worry Greg, I could make your car look clean. The underside of my '90, with a '91 front end, has all kinds of crud under it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I ditched my duct plates. I will be selling them.
I went back to my original set up which is just hose and does not blow on the inner rotor face nearly as bad as the duct plates did.

I am hoping this reduces my rotor cracking a little bit.

This is when they were new, but is basically the same now except with added dirt, rips, tears and Gorilla tape wrapped around the wheel end of the hosing.

DuctInstalledRh3.jpg

HOSEAFTERONEYEAR.jpg

Looks like it is still blowing on a lot of the rotor face but it is not. The wires in the hose can be bent and the top brought down so it blows mostly into the hat portion of the rotor vent inlets.
I don't have a current shot but I altered the ends a bit, kinda squeezed the end down.

These cars really need a thicker and larger diameter 14" rotor for the weight and speed they have.$$$$$$$$:nonono:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I'm new to this, so sorry for my ignorance:kaboom: Does the hose have to blow on a specific part of the rotor? If I ran brake ducts without the plates and just have the air direct towards the entire braking system (ie rotors, pads, calipers), how would this perform? I always thought the idea of getting air flow to the brakes was to simply cool down the whole system and not a specific part of the rotor:??:

Also, do you have to use a specifc type of hose (if so, what type should I buy?)? would the flexible plastic or aluminum type hoses work ok?

Users who are viewing this thread