Brake Fluid Cap Leaking?

Honest Mike

Established Member
Anyone else's brake fluid cap leaking/seeping?? Every time I open my hood, the reservoir is slightly wet from the cap leaking. I always clean it off perfectly and the next time I take a peek, it's all wet again. I did a google search and a bunch of stuff came back, but just wondering if anyone on this particular forum has the same problem. And if so, did a new cap fix the problem? I guess I'll order a new cap from the dealer tomorrow. I wouldn't mind if the washer fluid cap leaked, yes I would, nothing should be leaking, but damn, brake fluid?? If that shit gets on the paint, it'll eat it up!

mycroft

Established Member
Pretty much everyone's, yes. You can google it, it's not related to the cap being bad, it's just a poor design. Take a little fluid out of it and you should be fine.

It ate some paint on mine near the shock tower and I had it repaired at the dealership under warranty.

mycroft

Established Member

BrianH87

Established Member
I noticed mine leaks too. The sweat band trick is the way to go. Some companies actually market sweat bands as "reservoir covers." I ordered some for a different platform and they literally were sweat bands that can be had for $2 at Dicks.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Anyone else's brake fluid cap leaking/seeping?? Every time I open my hood, the reservoir is slightly wet from the cap leaking. I always clean it off perfectly and the next time I take a peek, it's all wet again. I did a google search and a bunch of stuff came back, but just wondering if anyone on this particular forum has the same problem. And if so, did a new cap fix the problem? I guess I'll order a new cap from the dealer tomorrow. I wouldn't mind if the washer fluid cap leaked, yes I would, nothing should be leaking, but damn, brake fluid?? If that shit gets on the paint, it'll eat it up!
I noticed mine leaks too. The sweat band trick is the way to go. Some companies actually market sweat bands as "reservoir covers." I ordered some for a different platform and they literally were sweat bands that can be had for $2 at Dicks.
Have you guys brought this up to your Ford Dealer’s attention? If not, please make an appointment to have it diagnosed and let me get it escalated. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

mattymazz

Established Member
i just noticed this on my car last night.
didn't even know this was an issue with these cars.
i was planning on calling the dealer monday.

mattymazz

Established Member
I've been doing more reading and I am staggered that this is has been an issue for so long

I didn't even check the paint in then engine compartment, i didn't know brake fluid would do that.
3400 miles on my car now and i will be pissed if there is any damage.
not happy!!!

Honest Mike

Established Member
Tried a new cap for the heck of it, even though someone above said it won't fix the issue, he's correct, it didn't.. But just had to try it anyway lol.

Can someone show me a picture or a link to the sweatband idea mentioned above?

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Nope.
Syphon some fluid off and put a wrist band on the cap or wrap a towel around the reservoir.

I have a wrist band on mine, but over time the band dries up and looses elasticity. Will probably end up wrapping a terry cloth, or a shop towel around the reservoir.

darreng505

Established Member
I'm going to invent some kind of rubber gasket seal to fix this that sits underneath the cap and just removes the air gap in the threads.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I'm going to invent some kind of rubber gasket seal to fix this that sits underneath the cap and just removes the air gap in the threads.

It's a bad idea to make the reservoir cap 'leak' proof, the cap isn't leaking it's venting off pressure and if you seal the cap that pressure will find the next weakest point to vent from and you really don't want it venting from a caliper seal.

As others have posted, switch to a brake fluid with higher boiling points and not overfilling the master cylinder will fix the venting.

Last edited:

qtipconnoisseur

Hi all. Hope I'm not breaking any rules bumping an old thread, but I bought my Boss about 7 months ago and I'm having the same overflowing issue. I've been running Castrol SRF just below the full line, which I'll never do again. For the overflowing part, I'm planning on going with a divorced clutch reservoir, and keeping both reservoirs halfway between min/max at the most. I'll also use some zipties and a rag to catch any fluid that might overflow.

However, my question is: has anybody ever been able to get the paint redone outside of warranty? My car has 9600 miles on it and I can't believe I'm going to have to get part of it repainted already. Here are some pics of the damage...
http://imgur.com/a/7i6zt
U2QldLN.jpg

c0rAoPy.jpg

pJp83Ts.jpg

As you can see, I've got quite a bit of paint missing, and, what's worse, some missing under a joined panel. For the record, these pictures were taken after I noticed the bubbling paint, and attempted to get as much brake fluid off, which explains why the spots missing paint look so "clean".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread