Brake line leak!!!

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Im driving in the city the other night, with a few drinks in me. Then all of a sudden, my brake pedal goes to the floor. Anyone who has driven in center city philadelphia could imagine how fun this would be. So i downshift and e-brake my way home. The next morning i check it out and find that where my hard line ataches to the little block connected to the soft line is leacking like a mofo. Anyone ever have this happen on our cars. I was to lazy to get dirty, so I brought my bike out of winter storage. :rockon:

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Damn thats a little scary. You're lucky you didn't have to stop real quick on the way home. I woulda probably wimped out and pulled over and gotten the car towed.

Paul

MidNight Snake

Established Member
grandestang said:
Damn thats a little scary. You're lucky you didn't have to stop real quick on the way home. I woulda probably wimped out and pulled over and gotten the car towed.

Paul

Eh. speeds werent to high and i just kept a safe distance. Magazines should do e-brake stopping tests. I think i could have done a 60-0 in atleast 1000 ft.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
BlackGT said:
replace the line!

Whatever is easiest and does the jobe. I can flare hard fuel lines with success. I haven't tried brake lines yet even though they're pretty much identical. Only thing is at 45 psi my skills might be ok but at 2000 psi i might feel a little tested.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Flaring the line is a pain. I had to do it on my fox. I had never done it but it came out good and wasn't too difficult. Just make sure you use the right tools.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Flaring the line is a pain. I had to do it on my fox. I had never done it but it came out good and wasn't too difficult. Just make sure you use the right tools.

Yeah, I had to do it for my fuel lines on my fox. My u-joint shattered and my driveshaft ripped the fuel lines to shreads. So I still have the flare kit and maybe even some lines. I might give it a shot. Whatever I do I am going to have to do it soon. I froze my nuts off today on my bike and its saposed to rain the rest of the week.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Alright, I finally got a chance to really see what is going on. There is a hard line that goes to the back of the car, that hits some kind of metering block. From there a soft line goes to the passanger side brake and another hard line goes from that block to the other brake. Well, the leak is coming from where the hard line from the front of the car enters the metering block. I noticed my exhaust was leaning against that hard brake line. Aparently, the force and vibration of that exhaust pipe against the line pushed in the hard line all the way into the block, in the process the flare was completly sheered off. I grabbed my flare kit from the basement and wouldn't you know its filled with water from the last heavy rain. Never leave your tools in a pile on the floor of a basement. Its wet enough where the rust still lets it work. When I get back from class Ill give it a shot. Its really tight in there though.

Users who are viewing this thread