Brake Noise/Clunk only in Reverse

rickymh

Established Member
only in reverse: There's this rhythmic, tapping noise from the front end.
When I apply the brakes the noise is gone. If I fully press on the brakes I get a clunk noise.

Recent changes:

*new brembo drilled rotors and pads in rear
*new pads in the front with EXISTING brembo drilled rotors in the front,
i did not turn the rotors in the front.

any ideas???:?

djtyau

Established Member
Make sure that those caliper bracket bolts are good and tight. I think the torque spec is 70 lb-ft.

YourBaby'sDaddy

Established Member
Has anyone been able to figure this out? I just replaced my rear pads and rotors and now I get that clunking sound in reverse only. I didn't even touch the front end but the sound is coming from the front :shrug:

BLKSVTSNAKE

Established Member
Wow! This is kinda weird that some more people are having the same problem. I just installed MM CC plates, HR race springs, drilled rotors and pads front and rear and I am getting that same noise when backing up. When my car is rolling backwards I can make that clunk noise every time I tap the brake pedal and it is definitely coming from the front of the car. I have not really trouble shot the problem yet but it sounds like a common problem.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
I had the same problem when I replaced my rotors and pads.

Used Brembo blanks (same as OEM) and Akebono Ceramic pads.

Damn car would make a clunk clunk clunk noise when braking.

I took the brakes apart 6 times that night to make sure everything was ok.

Each time things were fine, I could find no problems.

Sound went away completely after the brakes got bedded in.

Done 20 brake jobs and that was the first time I had a problem like that and it was weird to say the least.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
I was listening today and it seems like my thumping is somehow related to the steering. If i just roll straight back, no thump. If I turn the wheels and roll back, it thumps. It's been this way for the two months that I've owned the car. The front end has been aligned and the brake pads are original and still have plenty of life left. The wheels (OEM) are not rubbing anywhere that I can see. I'm at a loss.

Z0 What?

Established Member
ya, i feel it in the wheel and in the brake pedal, though sometimes it sounds like its maybe the tranny mount....which would make sense i think, because that might be allowing everything to shift a little bit? Though I've autoxd the car like this and open tracked it and nothing has broken or fallen apart.....(corss my fingers)...yet:??:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a single clunk when in reverse. It happened each time I applied the brakes and it happened after a pad replacement. I took my brakes completely off and installed a brake cooling kit and after reassembly there was no more clunk. I'm not sure what I did to fix it other than spend some extra time to make sure the caliper was properly mounted in the bracket.

I believe it is a side effect of how the calipers are mounted to the bracket. If you don't get them in there just right I think they rock forward and back according to which direction your car is traveling and when the caliper hits the other side of the bracket you here a clunk. I don't think it is anything to worry about. I didn't notice any undue or extra wear on any of the parts.

Last edited:

sonicblue.03

Established Member
I have been having this same issue. It seems to be the worst when backing and turning to the right. It will do it everytime when backing out of an incline. I have been under the car and have found nothing loose. The only thing slightly out of whack is the bushings on the rack and pinion were a little loose, other than that there is no play whatsoever. I have the stock suspansion front and back and factory brakes.

The best way I can describe the sound is it sounds like there is a bearing in a bind. The last time it did it, I was backing out of a parking place and it seem to make the sound in perfect increments, like it is tied to the rotation of the wheel.

I would like to find out what this sound is. Not just because it is annoying, but want to make sure it is safe. Sorry to hijack the thread, but really want to find out and help others find out what this is.

rickymh

Established Member
Ive narrowed it down, something with my pads.
I got new pads and the noise is gone! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread