Brake pad question

eaglesnick

Established Member
I just purchased new rotors for my car and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for pads. I figure since I have to take everything off to replace the rotors I might as well replace the pads with something that doesn't create as much brake dust and better performance if possible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Bingo13 is the best person to ask. One thing is for sure stay away from SBS touring pads they suck and squeal like a pig. I am not sure which are on Bingo13 top list currently, but last we spoke the were Portfield RS-4 pads.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Haven't put them on yet I was on vacation last week and am trying to find some good pads to put on while I am changing the rotors. By the way you may want to talk to your contact he mislabeled my rotors as well marked my right rotor for the left side and visa versa, you may want to check and make sure all those guys put them on right. Thanks again, I'll let you know when I install them.

j card

Established Member
Porterfield R4-S. Low dust, no noise, nice performance. Do not take them on a road course - I killed a set in 1 day. On the street, they're great.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by eaglesnick
I just purchased new rotors for my car and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for pads. I figure since I have to take everything off to replace the rotors I might as well replace the pads with something that doesn't create as much brake dust and better performance if possible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend the R4-S on the street and actually they lasted longer on the track than the Hawk HP-Plus pads. It is dependent upon your driving style.

The Porterfields offer very good stopping distances (5~7% better), low dust, and no noise. If you are driving in various climates and are not as concerned about improving your stopping distances then I would go with the Carbotech Bobcat series. They have almost zero dust, work great in cold/wet weather, and still offer stock performance.

The Hawk HPS series is a good street pad but they tend to be noiser than the Porterfields. I would put the Carbotech Panther series in this grouping also.

I have not tried the new formula EBC greenstuff but did not care for the set I tried along with the redstuff series.

I had very high hopes for the SBS series pads. In fact they were working very well until I removed them for a weekend event. After the reinstall they acted just like the Hawk HP Plus pads, stopped very well, but the noise levels were enough to cause dogs to howl and children to scream. I never got them to quiet down and trashed them.

Since you are removing the rotors I would also install a set of stainless steel brake lines and speed bleeders. You will want to change over to a better fluid also. I suggest the Ford HD brake fluid for the street and light track events. It is inexpensive and works very well.

Bobrammer

Established Member
Hey Bingo, What's your source for all of these different brake pads!?!

Are you an SCCA member? Just curious how you get all of the track time. Thanks! Bobrammer

jk03cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by j card
Porterfield R4-S. Low dust, no noise, nice performance. Do not take them on a road course - I killed a set in 1 day. On the street, they're great.

Any idea who's got the best prices on these brake pads??

maoun

Established Member
many people recommend seasoned pads with new rotors...check the instructions w/the rotors

as for pads, i love hawk hps....the plus squeal a lot

m.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Bobrammer
Hey Bingo, What's your source for all of these different brake pads!?!

Are you an SCCA member? Just curious how you get all of the track time. Thanks! Bobrammer

SCCA, NASA, and a few car clubs. I buy pads from various sources and have enjoyed figuring out what works on this car. I actually used to go to most of the BMW events (M3/M5) with this car until we got rid of the BMWs. Chasing a well prepped M3 with the old white whale can keep you on your toes. :D

Users who are viewing this thread