Brake pad removal problem

2tonOfun

Established Member
so, when pulling off the old pads on the front axle, do I need to remove those clips that look to be holding the pads in the caliper? and if so, HOW?

it's been 3 years since I've done this and I seem to be retarded.

oilwell1415

Established Member
No, they don't have to be removed. They are there to keep the pad from wearing out the caliper bracket as they move around and to keep the pads from rattling. Once you've got the caliper removed from the bracket you can remove the clips, clean them off, lube them and put them back in.

tistan

Established Member
IRC there is a little tab in the center of the clip that holds the pad in. I think I pried it with a screwdriver and the pad came loose. It was definitely different than most brakes I have worked on.

2tonOfun

Established Member
Are the calipers still on the brackets? If so, the pads will be a pain to remove. If the caliper is not on the bracket they should just fall out.

Well, if by bracket, you mean did I pull the whole assembly off of the spindle, yes. Should I pull the caliper apart? remove the outside piece that pushes on the outside pads, from the inside piece that houses the pistons?

I've done brakes on all of my cars, and this truck once when I first bought it and never had to deal with these clips. It looks like I could bend the little tabs at one end and then take them off but don't want to bust the tabs off.

Just an fyi, I ordered the Hawk pads from Summit and when using their search engine, it takes you to the wrong part number. They said they are correcting it now.
The search takes you to part # HWK-HB266F-650

The correct part # is HWK-HB299F-650 (for the front axles).

Users who are viewing this thread