Brake pad suggestions

docs03

Established Member
Need to put new pads on the car. Suggestions??

Have looked into Hawk HP, Porterfield RS4 ( I think that's the part number). and EBC green stuff

Any help? Thanks everybody

doc

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
What do you want out of your brakes? No squeel? Better stopping? Low dust? I went with the hawk hps in the back. There is no squeel at all, and a little more dust than the stock pads. Not sure if they stop any better, I only had to replace the rears.

I think Gary has the HPS+. I rode in his car, and they squeel a TON. They will stop much better though than stock pads.

I got mine from MM. I will probably do the same pads again in the future.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
I have Hawk HPS all around....the fronts dust like no other and they do squeel sometimes....but they do stop a heck of a lot better then stock...especially at high speeds. They don't fade as fast as the stock ones do.

docs03

Established Member
Looking for less dust and no squeal.....I know that's not gonna happen though....any one know about the Porterfields? Any fit issue with the Hawk pads?

thanks again
doc

Jpjr

Established Member
if your going with aftermarket pads, buy some poorboys wheel sealant and throw on 2-3 coats at least up front. it makes cleaning your wheels 10x easier.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I have Galfers now - a little more dust then stock, no noise.

The stock pads are really quite capable unless you are open tracking or make alot of hot laps at the dragstrip.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
I have Galfers now - a little more dust then stock, no noise.

The stock pads are really quite capable unless you are open tracking or make alot of hot laps at the dragstrip.

damn! just when I thought I knew all the options, you come up with something new

question for Gary, the MCT open track guru: what pads would you recommend for the Cobra R calipers? should I just use the R pads?

more concerned with having quiet brakes than clean ones...

stock ones may be good but they're scaring me on the street even...

....if I could just stop driving so fast :-D

Last edited:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
JB,

The Galfers are what comes with the Cobra R 4 piston Brembos. They are adequate for street use, as far as I can tell. If you are open tracking then you should upgrade pad material, depending on the speed of the track.

I was running Hawk HP+ in the stock Cobra PBR's and have some to go into the Brembo's. There is plenty of information in the Cobra R forums. Performance Friction and Hawk are popular choices.

When did you upgrade to the Brembo's?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
OK, thanks...actually, I just recently decided to get them

like I said, I've been underwhelmed by the stockers a few times now

gonna get them from Diversified...

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Gotcha. There is only a 10% increase in pad area when upgrading to the Brembos. You will not stop alot quicker. What you are gaining is brakes that hold up to repeated high speed stops. If you want better pedal feel, throw on some Hawk HP+ (dusty and squeaky) and bleed your breaks. You might be suprised what a difference fresh brake fluid makes.

Users who are viewing this thread