Brake Pads in 6200 miles??

notch3o2

i8urmama
Established Member
i bring my car to the dealership for warranty work because my idler pulley somehow got gauged up and ripped the blower belt right off so anyways it takes two weeks to do and i didnt bother them at all and then they try to tell me that i need brake pads????? i only have 6200 miles on the car and use the brakes like a normal person is this possible to wear that fast????? i need some ammo to throw at the dealer

notch3o2

i8urmama
Established Member
god i wish i still had my Z=06 taht car took the biggest beating and didnt even miss a beat....im disgusted with this car and im gonna try to lemon it.....total days in dealership so far for warranty work is 27 days....ima bring it in for something stupid one day and just get it lemon'd

Juiced-03

Established Member
My brakes lasted til 23,000 miles so I cant help you there. But why has your car been in service for so long? And a blown idler pulley is no big deal at all. It is expected when running a supercharged car. Belts can slip, bearings can seize, and sometimes the belt can snap.

notch3o2

i8urmama
Established Member
they claimed that they couldnt get a part for 2 weeks but whatever man i didnt even complain cause once this piece is in there for a total of 30 days i will paint the thing yellow park it in front of the dealer and write lemon all over it and MAKE them buy it back..i really dont care this car has more creaks clunks and ticks then my friends 88 acura with 160,000 miles

NCStanger

Established Member
I have 27K and coming up on my 30K service. I did notice some squeeling when using the breaks a bit at around 25K. Think I'm gonna need some new pads real soon or already overdue maybe?

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
My rear brakes needed replaced at 10K. Granted, I did a 'few' spirited sprints (including drag racing) then braking...

So, I do believe that it's possible that your brakes need replaced this early especially if you drive 'agressively'.

NC Cobra

Established Member
I guess I must drive like a little girl. Over 20,000 miles and my pads still look pretty good. Keep in mind that the pads are one of the first things the dealer looks at when you have a "questionable" warranty issue. 6K miles does seem pretty low for the "average" Cobra driver.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
I don't buy it. Ask them if they will replace them under warranty. If not, don't bother unless you see they are that worn yourself. If they are, I would suspect a sticking caliper or something that is wearing the brakes prematurely.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Imperial Pose
Anyone know how much Ford dealers charge for new brakes? Is there a standard?

I had my rear brakes replaced @ just over 12K miles, not under warranty :(
The dealer charged me $239 :dw:

Next time I will do it myself and use better pads.

-Brian

03snakerush

Established Member
Originally posted by notch3o2
they claimed that they couldnt get a part for 2 weeks but whatever man i didnt even complain cause once this piece is in there for a total of 30 days i will paint the thing yellow park it in front of the dealer and write lemon all over it and MAKE them buy it back..i really dont care this car has more creaks clunks and ticks then my friends 88 acura with 160,000 miles

Then buy the F*cking 88 Acura and enjoy life.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Wow that is some what quick. I justed check my wifes brakes on her van and they were fine. Found a leak (Seal) while doing it and had it fixed under warrenty. They told me that my brake pads were metal on metal and needed to be replaced. I laughed and left.

hmwave

Established Member
I had the same. Rears at 3mm at 12,200miles, 13months.
The warranty on pads is 12K, 12 months so dealer refused the warranty coverage.
They quoted $400 to replace with OEM pads. I bought a set of Street Hawks (front and rears) for $160 and did the job myself. Not too difficult but you need a special tool for the rears to rotate the piston back in there. I also broke the c-clips on the front caliper pins when removing so get a new set beforehand.

Why did they wear so fast? Dealer told me why.
The so called traction control applies the rear brakes when activated. Mine had evidently been activating often and wore the rear pads down quickly.
My Trac is now always off, not because of the wear, but because it's an accident waiting to happen. IMHO Ford's so called Traction system on the Cobra is a death trap.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya I just did my rears. Never done brakes before and my 15y/o brother and I did them last weekend in 2 hours. We had the wrong tool and no jack so it took forever! I had to ghetto rig a tool and use the stock jack that came with the cobra LOL! But the brakes were $30. I save a lot of money I guess! Fronts will be much easier though!

notch3o2

i8urmama
Established Member
yo snake rush, the funny thing is i would....dont try to stick up for something not worth doing...u know and i know as well as everyone else know...this car was a test dummy and its a piece of garbage just thrown together....think what you want but when it all comes down to it slap the gas hard and back off quick...then tell me that feels normal dirtbag

Pony2NV

Established Member
Whoa, easy there notch302. No need to get hostile. But I am with you in one sense, I think I'm gonna try to lemon mine too. I think in NJ your car only needs to be in the shop for 20 days. You're right... this thing creaks, rattles, tinks, pops, clunks and vibes (well, used to.. vibe got fixed with a new driveshaft) horribly. Not to mention WHEELHOP!! That just drives me insane. But this car is FAST. I think I want to get another Lightning.. I loved my '00.

Last edited:

03snakerush

Established Member
Originally posted by notch3o2
yo snake rush, the funny thing is i would....dont try to stick up for something not worth doing...u know and i know as well as everyone else know...this car was a test dummy and its a piece of garbage just thrown together....think what you want but when it all comes down to it slap the gas hard and back off quick...then tell me that feels normal dirtbag

Yo notch302, DIRTBAG here responding to your anger. Venting about your anger over the issues YOU are having is your right and I don't blame you. But I do "slap the gas hard and back off quick" and I guess I don't have as much gear lash as your Cobra because it DOES feel normal. Having severe issues and a need to get your car lemoned sucks, but don't expect me or others not to respond when you compare the 03 Cobra to an 88 Acura. And to say this car is "a piece of garbage just thrown together" really shows how little you know about automobiles, engineering, and the whole assembly process. I've been lucky with my cobra and I'm not oblivious to the problems some of us are having, but I've been a Master Tech for years now and I'm fully aware of many problems other car manufacturers are having and I'm glad I own this car. Don't like my suggestions? Fine, but don't resort to name calling on this board . Trust me, an Acura is a pig of just another scent......Later man.:nonono:

notch3o2

i8urmama
Established Member
in no way did i ever mention i liked an acura just comparing our cars to one of them....28 days out of service and i only had the car for 6 months....im not one to bitch but cmon thats riddiculous....sorry bout the dirtbag comment i was wasted when i posted but still dont tell me not to complain when im working my a** of trying to afford the thing and have it break constantly.....maybe they did alot of research on our cars and put time into it well then why would so many people experience so many problems with it????

Users who are viewing this thread