Brake Pads

racebronco2

Established Member
In my experience bedding the brakes have been one of the most tedious things i have done.
I too have glazed more then one set of brake pads. I now just get the brake pads to smoke a little after several brake applications and make sure that i allow the brakes to cool a little before i make any more stops. And when i do need to stop a brake way in advance and slowly apply pressure.

Crumbling pads are an indication that the brake pads got too hot.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
If they're what come in Brembo calipers when you get them, I used them a little on the street until I got some HPS. I carry them as backup spares just in case I go through both sets I carry with me.

They were fine as street pads, not much noise or dust, can't say on the track.

David Hester

Established Member
The F indicates that the average coefficient of friction is between 0.35 and 0.45 at or below 200° and the G indicates an average coefficient of friction between 0.45 and 0.55 up to 600°F.
This tells me decent street pad, but hardly performance pad.
HPS will take you up to 750
Maximum
Temperature (F) Pad Compound Selection Guide*
Up to 750F Most Semi-Metallic Street Pads including:
- Hawk HPS
- Hawk HP Plus

Well, here. Y'all can gander for yourselves.
http://www.bestbrakes.com/temperature_paint.shtml
(these are great folks to deal with BTW. I've bought pads from them for years. Race car, street car, truck)
TODDTCE has a good selection, too!
nOTE- HP+ will take care of you up to around 1000 degrees. (pads may appear in different ranges)
I have seen WELL over 900 degrees and rising on a road course.
By the same token, you may not ever get above 200 in stop and go traffic.
If water boils at 212, and you can touch them on the drive to work.....
DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Well, I've already order HPS for the front and I will be leaving the rears stock. I also got SS lines for the front, but am leaving the stock rears.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I just went to a set of Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear couple with a new set of Brembo rotor blanks. I really liked their performance at VIR a couple of weeks ago. At my level, I am only beginning to do late, threshold braking, but each time I did it with my instructors guidance, the brakes were there for me.

A couple of people mentioned brake dust from some of the pads. Since my car rarely if ever sees any rain (and far less than 1000 street miles per year), I pulled the brake shields off front and rear a while back when I was doing a pad swap. Either the Carbotechs have less brake dust than other pads, or the removal of the removal of the shields really helped to reduce the amount of dust on my wheels during a track day.

Todd TCE

Established Member
The F indicates that the average coefficient of friction is between 0.35 and 0.45 at or below 200° and the G indicates an average coefficient of friction between 0.45 and 0.55 up to 600°F.
This tells me decent street pad, but hardly performance pad.

I'm on board here 100%. Those numbers are not earth shattering. Mild performance street pad; sure. Track pad; no way. As some stated in a reply they may be good for AutoX but 600* is only the tip of operation for a track day pad. I'd want to know what they do a 1000* and be looking for a Cf of .57-.60 or better be sustained.

That pad appears to "ramp up" nicely with heat but if it breaks down upwards of 800* you'll be in the weeds in no time. Seems oddly similar to my BP20 which like BP10 is not a Raybestos material...hmmmm.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/images/D_T_BP10_BP20.gif

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Has anyone used Carbotechs in their Brembos? I have ran them before with good results in other cars.

I am running the stock Galphers in the Cobra R calipers, and have not gotten them to fade yet at the track, but top speed at the track is just over 100 MPH. I drive the car only occasionally and do about 6 track events per year.

I woudn't mind going with something a bit more agressive. Any suggestions? Should I stay with Galphers? Hawks are kind of noisy and messy, but if that is the best choice I will go for those I guess.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I just went to a set of Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear couple with a new set of Brembo rotor blanks. I really liked their performance at VIR a couple of weeks ago. At my level, I am only beginning to do late, threshold braking, but each time I did it with my instructors guidance, the brakes were there for me.

A couple of people mentioned brake dust from some of the pads. Since my car rarely if ever sees any rain (and far less than 1000 street miles per year), I pulled the brake shields off front and rear a while back when I was doing a pad swap. Either the Carbotechs have less brake dust than other pads, or the removal of the removal of the shields really helped to reduce the amount of dust on my wheels during a track day.

Do you have the PBR calipers in front or Brembos? What tires do you run?

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
I have the stock PBR 99 Cobra calipers front and rear with BFG KD 245/45/17 fronts and Nitto NT01 245/45/17 rears.

Before anyone jumps on my case for having mismatching tires, there is a reason. I started out with 554hp at the ground with a 4.10 gear. The cheapest and quickest way to calm down the car and make it safer for me to drive (aka: learn) was to put stickier tires on the rear and effectively engineer a push in the front. Now that I am under 500 with a 3.55, I am looking for a set of 17x9 rims and will get a set of 275 NT01s on all four corners.

I expect that I will need to upgrade calipers sooner or later.

dragon40k

Established Member
I'm on board here 100%. Those numbers are not earth shattering. Mild performance street pad; sure. Track pad; no way. As some stated in a reply they may be good for AutoX but 600* is only the tip of operation for a track day pad. I'd want to know what they do a 1000* and be looking for a Cf of .57-.60 or better be sustained.

That pad appears to "ramp up" nicely with heat but if it breaks down upwards of 800* you'll be in the weeds in no time. Seems oddly similar to my BP20 which like BP10 is not a Raybestos material...hmmmm.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/images/D_T_BP10_BP20.gif

Thanks for the advice. This is only my second track event on a course that i'm told is a little easier on brakes than some. The first event I used stock pads (without any problem) and I assume that these are better than those. I guess i'll keep these pads as a backup and buy a set of hawk HP + or a similar compound that can handle around 1k* and use them exclusivly for track events.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Carbotech themselves. They are located in Shelby, NC... they may have moved to Concord, NC by now (just outside Charlotte). 704-481-8500 and ask for Larry Narcus.

Edit: I checked the number in my cell and I have 877-899-5024 for Larry.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. This is only my second track event on a course that i'm told is a little easier on brakes than some. The first event I used stock pads (without any problem) and I assume that these are better than those. I guess i'll keep these pads as a backup and buy a set of hawk HP + or a similar compound that can handle around 1k* and use them exclusivly for track events.

Where are you going?

Users who are viewing this thread