Brake Pads

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
If you are still new to HPDE I would keep running the street pads, they will last you a long time. Ford OEM rears will work just fine till you start picking up more speed.

When you start using slicks I would start looking for a more aggressive pad like Hawks or Carbotechs.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
If weather cooperates my next event will be on slicks. I've done quite a few events so far. So are you also recommending HP+ up front and HPS (or equivalent) in rear ?

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I think that HP+ (front) and HPS (rear) would be good way to build up to the more aggressive pads. Just make sure to keep an eye on them as you run throughout the weekend.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Any problem with running HPS front and back when track season ends? The squeal of the HP+'s is ear splitting and I don't know if I can take it over the winter months :beer:

JoeJ

Established Member
For open track events, you should use Performance Friction 01 pads in the front and PF 06 in the rear. They are great pads. I use them on my 2000 Cobra R and my 2012 Boss302S

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Just a reminder for this thread...brake pads are like hot models or bourbon. Everyone has a favorite, and that doesn't mean any are better or worse than others. At least among comparable lines.

I found what works for me, and others have found what works for them. That's not to say don't try different ones. But it can be confusing when everyone says this or that is best.

I have run Hawks, EBC, Carbotech, and know that others out there may work as well...or not.

My advice, FWIW, if you're wearing out HP+ in two events, you could probably step up to running HP+ on the rear, and may want to look into a more aggressive pad in the front.

And don't hesitate to change the pads for winter driving. You should get used to changing the pads, as you progress, you'll end up running pads that are not street friendly.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I concur with Greg.

And I will add a note about street driving aggressive pads. Even if the squealing and dusting do not bother you, you should consider swapping them if you are going to do a lot of street driving (thousands of miles). On the street, you will not get enough heat into them for them to work properly. As a result, you may end up using up the pads prematurely and/or the rotors. I have had track pads pretty much crumple and/or dust themselves to death when driving them on the street.

-Kevin

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Do race pads have longer life compared to a dual purpose pad (when used correctly)? I don't have the budget to shell out twice as much money for half (or even the same) amount of drive time

wheelhopper

Established Member
Dest dual purpose pad that I have found, IMO, is the EBC Blues. You're not going to turn your fastest lap times, but they last a long time, don't squeal, and are easy on rotors. They should last you through HPDE 2.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I've used both. I'd say maybe half a step above.

As for whether "race pads have longer life compared to a dual purpose pad", it's not that simple, and it's more a question of how much you're willing to change pads.

Here's what I mean. The track is gonna eat up your pads at a rate of more than 10 to 1 compared to the street. When I used to just run EBC Greens and HP+ (both on the track and street), I might get a year out of them all told. Now that I run DTC-70 track and Hawk S street, I go through 3 sets of track pads in a year, but the S pads are coming up on their 4th year. I haven't done the math to see which works out better cost-wise, but I can tell you which works better performance-wise.

You may not be ready to need dedicated track pads yet, but if you keep doing this, you will be at some point. It's good to have tried different pads by then to see which you yourself like best. :thumbsup:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
for the track, ask the top end racers what they like and why. most every club racer and track driver i know uses hawk with the occasional carbotech. hawks are widely available, well priced, and in stock.

the grand am and world challenge racers i know almost entirely use performance friction and cobalt. i used the pfc endurance compound til just recently. they are more expensive, but because of their endurance primary usage, they last a very long time and treat the rotors better.

on recommendation of a racer friend i am going to run cobalt at the ARRC in November. Cobalt provides great personal service and technical adjustments per tire, track and season. the downside is they are small and dont keep product on the shelf. you need to plan and order in advance.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
talking about brake pad brands, does anyone know if there are Endless pads available for Mustangs? Endless brakes are often used on the 24h Nürburgring race and I was wondering if it would be worth to try their pads.

I run the Hawk HP+ for now and even though they work pretty well I'd like to have a more aggressive pad but still streetable since most of my driving is on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread