Brake question

187Snake

Established Member
I'm having what I believe to be a brake issue on my 2012. At slow speeds it sounds like a metal on metal grinding noise on the front right, but I do not see any signs of scrapes on the rotor. I think im just needing new pads as I can feel it in the brake petal when I press the brakes when moving at ~5mph. I ordered some carbotech pads, but just want to be sure that is the issue. Please look at the following picture I took of the front right brake setup, there is a gold colored clip/tab. Is this a wear indicator, or did something break off? I looked on the drivers side and do not see one over there, is this normal?

0426161119_zpsc0vkoiyk.jpg

barspen

Established Member
Your pads look shot, but you wont know for sure unless you pull them. Normally, there is a wear bar clip one of the pads (per pair), not both.

Also check your rotors since they might be groved pretty bad if the wear clip are touching them. Cheap to get them resurfaced.

Might want to check your brake fluid level too. You may be leaking some fluid around the bleeder value which is why it is so discolored.

187Snake

Established Member
Okay thank you for your input I appreciate it. My pads should be here Thursday or Friday so I will just park the car until then and get those pads swapped out and take a closer look at the rotors at that point.

Have a great afternoon,
Clint Painter

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
I just did brake pads on all four wheels on my 2012 and I was surprised at how easy it was. Note that your rear caliper pistons can NOT be pressed in with a c clamp like your front ones. You need to rent the special tool at your local auto parts place and turn them clockwise in order to compress them. Be sure to lubricate the piston too before compressing it or you'll end up tearing the boot like I did :bash: Luckily, I was able to remove the caliper and replace the boot with a $7.99 repair kit from Oreilly's! I would also suggest resurfacing your rotors if the thickness is within spec, 17.4 mm for the rear and 30.0 mm for the front.

Users who are viewing this thread