Brake Question

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Wanted to run this by you all and see what you think... I'll try not to make it too long, but I want to include all the information.

2015 Silverado 1500 w/ 62,000 miles

About 4 months ago I had some vibration when braking and my "Service Stablitrack" light would come on when starting the truck. Had all new rotors and pads changed.
The vibration stopped, but the Stablitrack light would still come on every once in awhile. No big deal.

Took the camper out last weekend and while slowly going thru the campground I came up on a steep downhill grade. As I'm going down the hill my pedal gets very firm and I can feel the ABS pulsating like crazy the whole way down. I figured maybe it was because I'm going down hill and on gravel, so the tires could be slipping slightly.
Get to the bottom of the hill and the camper set up without issue.
Then when I unhook the truck and go to park it I have basically zero brakes. The pedal is super firm and will only go down about 1". ABS also pulsates every time I touch the brakes. Just putting the truck in drive I've got to basically stand on the brakes to get it to stop.
Its getting dark so I say f-it and plan to work on it in the AM.
The next morning I start the truck up and everything works fine.

Looking back- I think the camper brakes were stopping me from the bottom of the hill to my campsite but I never noticed it because I was driving under 5MPH in the campground.

I call the dealership for advice and they let me know my truck has a known defect with the vacuum pump and that overtime the supply of vacuum can decrease to the point its not adequate for the brake booster to work.
They said if its working now, I should be fine to drive home and bring it to the dealership as soon as I'm able.

My home is only 45 minutes from the campground and its a VERY easy drive so I decide to risk it home.
I make the whole trip home with no issues until I go to turn into my development. As soon as I hit the brakes it does the exact same thing. Luckily the brakes on the camper are still working so that gets me home. Park the truck overnight and it works fine the next morning.

Got it to the dealership last Friday and this morning they call to tell me they fixed the pump issue and I should be good to go.

My question is... Do you all think a loss of vacuum could cause the issues I'm describing? To me it felt like more of an electronic issue than a vacuum/booster issue. Would a loss in vacuum cause the ABS to kick in like it does? Also no lights ever came on other than the "Service Stablitrack" light that would briefly flash about every 3rd time starting the truck.
The kid at the dealership desk seems about as knowledgeable as an Autozone checkout girl, so getting any real questions answered from him was impossible.

Also, the truck has a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake installed if that matters.

The main reason I'm really questioning this is next weekend we have a camping trip planned at a campground about 3 hours away deep in the mountains. If the brakes go out there its going to be bad. Really bad. Especially with my wife and 2year son in the truck.

I plan on picking up the truck today and putting some miles on it without the camper attached to see if anything happens. The tricky part is, the brakes haven't had any issues unless its pulling the camper. Other than driving the camper around in circles for hours I'm not really sure how to see if its fixed.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It can absolutely cause the symptoms you experienced.

I imagine throwing on the extra weight of the trailer just made the issue more noticeable. If it was fixed correctly, I would 100% trust it. Just hook up, go and do some highway speeds into fairly heavy braking. Kinda like bedding pads/rotors.

That is a known problem with them.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm trying to remember what symptoms my 2015 duramax had when I lost a wheel speed sensor. I do recall the brakes freaking out, hitting a bump while lightly on the brakes would take the pedal from me and lock ABS.

In my case, a good scanner pointed exactly to the issue and it was a very simple fix. I imagine the dealer would have seen that immediately for codes if it was that.

I would do like Nick says, hook up the trailer and waste some fuel.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
It can absolutely cause the symptoms you experienced.

I imagine throwing on the extra weight of the trailer just made the issue more noticeable. If it was fixed correctly, I would 100% trust it. Just hook up, go and do some highway speeds into fairly heavy braking. Kinda like bedding pads/rotors.

That is a known problem with them.
Thanks for the info!

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Had a Chevy truck at my shop same symptoms but it was low speed at like 5mph the abs would activate. Vacuum pump on front of motor was bad. Was so weird. Changed it and it was good to go.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Update: Haven't been able to attempt pulling the camper yet, but the "Service Stabilitrak" light came on again today. Going back to the dealership for another try tomorrow.

Established Member
I'd flush the brake fluid. If they work when cool and don't when hot, could you be boiling the fluid? Had that happen on the track once. years ago. A little moisture absorbed in the fluid over 7 years could get by easily unnoticed.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I'd flush the brake fluid. If they work when cool and don't when hot, could you be boiling the fluid? Had that happen on the track once. years ago. A little moisture absorbed in the fluid over 7 years could get by easily unnoticed.
So far they haven't freaked out again- The service stabilitrak light flashes when I start the truck for about 5 seconds then goes off.

Users who are viewing this thread