Brake/Rotor Q's

When did you first change your rear brake shoes?

• Less than 12,000

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 12,000 - 15,000

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 15,000 - 18,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18,000+

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
I have 11,500 on the odometer and my brakes recently started squealing. At first I thought it was because it wasn't driven in a while, but they started making noise at about 11k and are still doing it. I determined the noise was coming from the driver side rear brake, looked at the rotor and found a distinct groove in it -the other 3 are perfectly smooth- dealer says nothing is wrong with the brakes. While I was balancing my tires I checked the rear pads, to my calibrated:p eye they looked to be about a quarter of the thickness of the front.
I find it hard to believe that I will need new rear brakes soon with so few miles.

I am no expert on brakes, hell I even pay someone to change 'em, but a groove in the rotor with less than 12k means something ain't kosher right?

Also how often or at what mileage are you changing your front/rear brake pads (assuming you don't autox).

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
You might have gotten something stuck in between the pad and rotor.

I had this happen on my old Celica. I tiny pebble got stuck in there and made a pretty deep groove. :(

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Im taking mine in next week for this. My front pass side break is sqealing and its driving me nuts. It shouldnt do that.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya my rears were changed at 23,000. I used Raybestos and let me tell you they are worse than the stock pads! I wish I used Hawk or Ford pads for the rear. My front still have good pad left and I am on 25,000 miles. I will probably go with the Baer rotors and Hawk pads when I swap the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread