Brake Rotor Questions

jimh

Established Member
Drilling is from the old days for out gassing. Modern brake pads do not need this. If anything just go slotted. The slots do not go all the way through and help clean the pad. Your pads will wear faster though. Like someone else said, Porche rotors are cast with the holes. Drilling all those holes also reduces your surface area for cooling.

KOOY

Established Member
Originally posted by vipergts281
Just something to consider since you will most likely be buying new rotors everytime you do a brake pad change.

How about the stock rotors and pads. Will those require the changing for new rotors each time when pads are replaced?

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by KOOY
What is BED? like leting the rotors get used to pads?
Yes. It is when you make a series of stops from certain speeds to allow the pads to "bed" with the rotors. This should be done after you install new pads and rotors. I forget the exact speeds and how many times you do it. But I think those insrtuctions come with some pads.

vipergts281

Established Member
How about the stock rotors and pads. Will those require the changing for new rotors each time when pads are replaced?
No, not really. But, I would have the rotors resurfaced. Resurfacing pricing varies. But it shouldn't be any more than $30. And depending on how hard you drive your car, the rotors may only be able to be resurfaced once. Rotors actually wear down so there will be a point when there isn't enough material left. Then you have to buy new rotors.

KOOY

Established Member
Then, if I only want to change the rotors for streets use, I guess slotted ones are the way to go, right? Keep it in mind that, I don't want the squeal sound but want to improve the brake to its maximum.

BTW, is that the squeal sound actually coming from the changing of pads not rotors? right?

vipergts281

Established Member
The squeal is usually from the pad. Sometimes dirt can get lodged between the pad and rotor and that causes the sound as well.

But some pads make that squealing noise and it's normal. If you were to use a racing pad on the street, there is a good chance that they are going to squeal really bad.

I have EBC Greenstuff pads waiting to go on my car. And I had Hawk pads on my old GT with no squealing at all. Although some say they have squealing with Hawk Pads.

My stock pads have been squealing ever since the 6,000 mile mark.

KOOY

Established Member
Vipergts281, thanks for you info here.

BTW, what is the life expectancy for each of those kinds of rotors? Drilled, slotted or two-pattern combined rotors?

vipergts281

Established Member
Vipergts281, thanks for you info here.

BTW, what is the life expectancy for each of those kinds of rotors? Drilled, slotted or two-pattern combined rotors?
No problem. :beer:

And it really depends on your driving habit's. So I can't give you an accurate answer, sorry.

And FYI, I said it before......I've been told that a rotor that is both cross drilled and slotted is the worst combination you can get. Don't know the exact reason why, but that's what I've been told. Just something to think about.

Personally, I like the looks of cross drilled better, but I would probably go with slotted just because of the cracking concern with drilled.

KOOY

Established Member
Vipergts281, sorry I mistakenly typed my question. I originally wanted to know that, Which kind of rotor won't consume too much brake pads? Or, they are about the same, and I was being over-worried. Thanks you.

vipergts281

Established Member
Vipergts281, sorry I mistakenly typed my question. I originally wanted to know that, Which kind of rotor won't consume too much brake pads? Or, they are about the same, and I was being over-worried. Thanks you.
Again, it somewhat depends on your driving habits. And I'm not sure if slotted or cross drilled eat away your pads faster. I don't see why they would. I would suggest you go with Brembo slotted rotors and a good quality brake pad like EBC or Hawk. Can't go wrong with either of the three companies I just mentioned. :beer:

Also, if you want to go an extra step, get Stainless Steel brake lines. I believe they are about $80.

Users who are viewing this thread