Brake trouble - Saturn SL1

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
Here's what I've replace so far (the rear brakes are drum, front are disc)

-Calipers
-Brake Pads
-Rotors
-Spring kit for drum brakes
-wheel cylinder for drums
-Shoes
-drums
-Brake booster
-master cylinder

Here's the problem. The pedal feels fine when the car is off. However, when the car is on, the pedal will go almost all the way to the floor before the brakes will engage. When the finally do engage, everything seems to work great.

I've already bled the brakes in the order the Hane's repair manual said to. I would have my brother in law depress the pedal 5 times, and hold. While he holds I release the the bleeder (banjo) bolt and tighten near the end of the stream. Repeat until finished.

There doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak that I can tell. Any Ideas?

4valvemach

Established Member
Ive done a few brake jobs on saturn SL1's and they all seem to have a low pedal.They stop fine but the brake pedal is about half way down before they start to engage.

:shrug:

Did you adjust the rear drums untill they just began to touch the shoes?
Have you checked each wheel with the brakes pressed they dont turn?

oilwell1415

Established Member
Pull the parking brake and see if it helps. If it does you need to adjust the rear brakes like someone else mentioned.

Is this the problem you were originally trying to solve, or were you trying to fix something else and this started happening after the repair?

Here are some other things that can cause a low pedal:
Improperly adjusted booster and mc rods
Abnormally soft brake pads
Loose wheel bearings
Poorly fitting pads/shoes

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
Ive done a few brake jobs on saturn SL1's and they all seem to have a low pedal.They stop fine but the brake pedal is about half way down before they start to engage.

:shrug:

Did you adjust the rear drums untill they just began to touch the shoes?
Have you checked each wheel with the brakes pressed they dont turn?

Yes I did adjust the rear drum brakes until they are skimming the drum. Each wheel will stop after the brakes engage.

Pull the parking brake and see if it helps. If it does you need to adjust the rear brakes like someone else mentioned.

Is this the problem you were originally trying to solve, or were you trying to fix something else and this started happening after the repair?

Here are some other things that can cause a low pedal:
Improperly adjusted booster and mc rods
Abnormally soft brake pads
Loose wheel bearings
Poorly fitting pads/shoes

The original problem lol...everything was old and didn't work so I just decided to replace it all and learn something about brakes in the process. I think I figured out the problem though. In talking with some other people we realized that the bleeder valve for the front two calipers is on the bottom....soooo I think we put the calipers on backwards. This would explain how all parts are new and replaced but I still cant remove the air lol. Does this sound like a probable cause to you guys? - This is why I don't need to be working on cars at 2AM lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread