Brake upgrade for street use?

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
So my car has 30k miles and I decided, without looking, that the brakes are in need of replacement ;)

Anyways want something aggressive for the street and occasional track day (maybe 2 - 4 times a year), but not interested in going to larger rotors. My thoughts were to keep the stock non-brembo calipers and get new rotors and aggressive pads. Or maybe upgrade to brembo calipers.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the this kit from AM:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/powerstop-streetwarrior-brake-kit-1114gt.html

Willmkent

Established Member
All honesty I would go with the brembo kit from AM. I ca t even begin to express how much more I love my "brembo" style calipers on my 2015 Eco PP, and they aren't even brembo name, and that I hate the stock breaks on my 14 gt with a passion.

Yes the kit does cost a bit more but man, if you are keeping the car, go brembo, they are perfect for street through track and you don't even need drilled and slotted stuff after that.

Nevada Jack

I upgraded my non-Brembo '14 GT with the Ford Racing M-2300-S kit:

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9540

This is what comes in the kit:

03-09-2014_zpstbjafeyt.jpg

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
If you are serious about doing track days in the near future just buck-up and do the Brembo upgrade. But if you're going to stick with the stock non-Brembo setup then get dedicated performance pads and rotors for the track. Anything dual purpose is a waste of money as you start to progress on the track. I use PFC pads for track days and am a big fan, but they are pricey. Change the fluid to something more track friendly as well (Castrol, Brembo, Amsoil, etc). Find some way to add brake cooling since it will really be needed on the smaller rotors. Maybe you can adapt the FR (or similar) kit to a non-Brembo setup.

Users who are viewing this thread