Brake upgrade

chao5.0

Established Member
So I'm finally getting around to upgrading my brakes to the factory Brembos with some upgrades from the factory setup. so far I'm going with the factory calipers, stoptech slotted 1 piece rotors, Vorshlag SS braided lines, Vorshlag ducted backing plates, titanium backing plates, Motul 600 fluid. where I'm stumped is with the pads, I'm considering the following pads based on reviews: Carbotech 1521, Carbotech AX6, and Porterfield R4S. I would go with the factory pads but I'm pretty sure I could overheat those on spirited drives without much effort and that is the last thing I want to do. I do plan on doing some track days with the car but I'll get a set of dedicated pads and rotors for that. what do you recommend from your track day experiences? I can deal with extra noise and dust since my car gets cleaned weekly, I also plan on upgrading the rear with larger rotors and pads after the summer.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Honestly I use the factory brembo setup with the Laguna Seca front brake duct kit and have no brake fade on track days. I usually do 20 minute sessions with a 20 minute cool down between so if you go longer maybe have a little heating issue.

chao5.0

Established Member
Honestly I use the factory brembo setup with the Laguna Seca front brake duct kit and have no brake fade on track days. I usually do 20 minute sessions with a 20 minute cool down between so if you go longer maybe have a little heating issue.

that's what I'm afraid of the heating issue, I don't mind paying a little extra on the pads just to gain that little extra piece of mind when driving.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
A lot of the guys here at Tire Rack use the Hawk products, you can go back and forth with the HPS and Black/Blue other race pads without changing rotors. The pad materials are close enough that they don't repel eachother but can work without a turn or change of rotor. Big deal, because that is a 15 min swap for most at the track instead of a full change over.... and trying to drive to the track with the track pads.

I am sure other brands have the ability to go back and forth without a rotor swap, just I have had many friends do this with their cars. Once I do the bbk or brembo swap I will be doing the HPS and race pads for the track back and forth.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
A lot of the guys here at Tire Rack use the Hawk products, you can go back and forth with the HPS and Black/Blue other race pads without changing rotors. The pad materials are close enough that they don't repel eachother but can work without a turn or change of rotor. Big deal, because that is a 15 min swap for most at the track instead of a full change over.... and trying to drive to the track with the track pads.

I am sure other brands have the ability to go back and forth without a rotor swap, just I have had many friends do this with their cars. Once I do the bbk or brembo swap I will be doing the HPS and race pads for the track back and forth.

I have yet to have a good experience with any Hawk products so I'm staying away from them. I did order the AX6 pads, hoping they aren't to aggressive for the street, if they are I'll just step down to the 1521's.

5.0GT

Established Member
I used carbotech rp2 front and xp8 rear with the standard brake. I did the brembos, and might go with something more aggressive for the front since I'll have stickier tire. but the RP2 had more than 5 track weekends with no ducts, no fade and still has plenty of life. I like their pads, don't know if I want to change at the moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread