Brake upgrade

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
I am looking to upgrade my brakes and rotors. Maybe a slotted and or drilled rotors . It seems like all the rotors cost the around 200 bucks for just the front rotors. So I was wondering what you guys have tryed and liked better. Thanks for the help

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
99flblackcobra said:
I am looking to upgrade my brakes and rotors. Maybe a slotted and or drilled rotors . It seems like all the rotors cost the around 200 bucks for just the front rotors. So I was wondering what you guys have tryed and liked better. Thanks for the help

Well, like most other purpose built parts, it's gonna depend a lot on what you're gonna do w/ the car. Quite frankly the stock Brembo breaks are quite good and if you just use your car as a daily driver and even occasional strip action the stock set up is more than adaquate. Stockers will run ya about $60-$70 a piece.

If you're gonna auto-x or open track the car then it may be worth while to think about some slotted rotors and more agressive pads. Even still, I'm told that the stock rotors are okay for this sort of thing but more agressive pads and a good synthetic fluid is essential. Slotted rotors will resist fade better but obviously cost more $$$ ( that $100+ figure you were talkin' about ).

Cross drilled rotors are okay for a d/d or a show car but do not use them for serious performance driving like auto-x or open track. The heat generated from hard corner breaking will produce cracks and all kinds of stress fractures between those cute little holes.

So that's a brief fyi on break selection. For even more info and some good deals look here:

Tire rack break selection
www.shox.com

Good luck! :beer:

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
I have ford racing. They were $260 for the front and about $190 for the back. I had to color them up so they did not look crappy. I am happy with them. Go baer. Those things are sick and look nice.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you are looking for a bit better performance on the street go with a set of stock replacement rotors and a performance street pads. I have Carbotech bobcats on my Cobra right now. They're expensive for brake pads but the difference over the OEM compound pads is huge.

If you want to step up to some auto-X etc but arne't looking for all out race stopping power try a set of cryo treated stock replacement rotors. They'll last longer when used with an auto-x style pad like a Hawk HP+

As has been said, stay away from cross-drilled and to some extent slotted rotors if you plan on doing any serious racing with the car.

Also keep in mind, your car will only stop as fast as the tires will let it. The stock brakes have more than enough power to lock the brakes with ease so simply adding bigger stronger brakes doesn't necessarily decrease stoping distance. a good set of tires will go a long way in reducing stoping distance.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i had something like pro-ceramics in the front w/ napa rotors (liek 35 bucks each)...was very happy with the combo, better braking than stock, with less nasty looking brake dust...

RoyWoods

Established Member
Check this place out: http://www.kvrperformance.com/store/. This is where I got my rear rotors, and I just ordered a set of front ones last week. Call and talk to Terry. He's got an '03 Cobra, and really knows his s***. :rockon: He's extremely pleasant to deal with. Based on my experience, I would equate his customer service to that of MM, and everyone knows what a good reputation they have.

FWIW: You'll want to double check with him, but for my car, the cross-drilled rotors I got were actually made by Brembo, but for a fraction of the cost.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
When its time for me I'm going Powerslot rotors and Hawk Pads.

I ran that combo on my 5.0 for years without an ounce of problems or warped rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread