Brake upgrades for HPDE

Jbstang87

Established Member
Hey guys, I had my first HPDE experience this past weekend, and suffice it to say, I am hooked. I currently have russell stainless lines, and HPS pads on a non-brembo car. What other upgrades could I consider to increase my braking safety. I am not trying to go all out, I am just looking for suggestions.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Pads, fluid, SS lines, are usually the first three things that come to mind. If you have all that done, there's not much you can do on top of that unless you want to spend more for a BBK.

Jbstang87

Established Member
how much of a difference does a fluid change make? I heard the stock motorcrap is pretty good and can withstand heat

5.0GT

Established Member
how much of a difference does a fluid change make? I heard the stock motorcrap is pretty good and can withstand heat

It will boil and you'll have a close feel to brake fad. You won't get to that point until you get pads. I boiled Motul 600 because I don't have brake ducts. So, to add to the previous would be brake ducts. Overheating will shorten your brake components life when pushing to the car to the limit. I personally didn't get them, but never a bad idea.

Do you have the brembos? Carbtech RP2 front pads and XP8 at the rear are a great combination of street tire and they last long. I've been to 4 track weekends so far and they still look good.

Do you have any suspension parts? springs always reward you handling and look wise

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
full flush the brake system for motul rbf600. Other than larger brakes, you have everything covered to be a street/track car.

5.0GT

Established Member
I always used Motul for the track and I don't really like it. Tried 5.1 and 600. I would recommend ATE TYP from topbrakes, always wanted to try it and lots of good reviews. Motul will turn black really fast and heard that some racers even flush it before every event. Waaaaaaay better than the factory crap though

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I always used Motul for the track and I don't really like it. Tried 5.1 and 600. I would recommend ATE TYP from topbrakes, always wanted to try it and lots of good reviews. Motul will turn black really fast and heard that some racers even flush it before every event. Waaaaaaay better than the factory crap though
It depends on how much you race too. If the car will see street more than track, then 600 should be fine, as that's what multiple places recommended to me, including Vorshlag Motorsports.

Jbstang87

Established Member
No i have a non brembo equipped car. I have koni str.ts steeda ultralites bmr LCAs relo brackets, Roush UCA bmr Phb

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
Established Member
Find a used set of GT500 Brembo calipers and put some good Centric rotors with them. The larger rotor gives you a bigger heat sink to help prevent warping and fluid boiling. The Brembos also have a lot of pad options available, so you could swap pads before and after the track day.

Ivan 5.0

Established Member
Hey guys, I had my first HPDE experience this past weekend, and suffice it to say, I am hooked. I currently have russell stainless lines, and HPS pads on a non-brembo car. What other upgrades could I consider to increase my braking safety. I am not trying to go all out, I am just looking for suggestions.

Change fluid. FWIW, I run Motul RBF600. Works well for HPDEs and isn't terribly expensive.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
RBF600 won't need to be changed out near as often as running a RBF660 or higher. Just keep an eye on the fluid color, and also any brake fade as your go to more track days.

86Fbody

Established Member
Tires will help you stop better if you haven't already switched to something stickier than stock. Also check HP+ pads out, much better then the HPS though I have heard they will eat up your rotors.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Tires will help you stop better if you haven't already switched to something stickier than stock. Also check HP+ pads out, much better then the HPS though I have heard they will eat up your rotors.
With a crap ton of noise at low speeds. I would have went with these, but my car is still a daily, so I didn't want to mess with the noise.

modernbeat

Jason at Vorshlag
Established Member
Heard a few months back that they stopped selling it in the US :shrug:

And within a week they started selling it again, but with a new sticker on it that says something like track-use only.

But, we've been pretty happy with Motul 600. It does not require super frequent changes like the 660 and we usually only do a bleed, not a full flush, before every track event.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I would get some brake cooling ducts set up as well as changing fluid. RBF600 is a good choice for your application, as has already been stated. From what I understand, the main weakness of the base brakes is that they overheat easily, even with pads and extra cooling. You may want to shop around for some OEM Brembos. If you look in the right places, you can get them cheaply.

Users who are viewing this thread