brakes squeak - warped rotors?

garretts02gt

Established Member
hey guys - i recently installed brembo rotors with hawk pads front and back, and about a week later the rear started squeaking like crazy just rolling and while driving. when its rolling i could tell that it was intermittent, squeaks about once a rotation. and when i apply the brakes or ebrake the squeaks stop.

after searching through these threads i saw others with the same squeak problem as well as their opinion on what it was that was causing the noise. so i retorqued all the bolts, inspected the isolators, bushings etc. yet it still continued to squeak. so after narrowing the problem down to the brakes themselves i just got back from taking the car the firestone service center and they told me with out a doubt the rear rotors were warped which is whats causing the squeaks. they quoted me $79 to turn just the rear rotors.

my question: what they told me sounds like it could be the problem but why would these rotors already be warped?! i went through the bedding proceedure and its been light street driving since the install. also how much should turning the rotors actually cost?

stevieb

Established Member
More likely at one point you got the brakes hot either from hard braking or just from the break in period, then when you set the parking brake on a hot rotor (or drum if you had those) thats when it warped. I have never paid more than $10 to have a rotor turned either.

Users who are viewing this thread