Branched AD Infantry...Need Duty Station Advice

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Commissioning in May and headed to IBOLC. Need advice on picking my duty stations. I have another week to decide. Ones Im currently considering. Keep in mind Im trying to go heavy inf prefer strykers.

Trying to stay away from 82nd and 10th mountain if possible lol

Carson
Lewis
Stewart
Germany

What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm an FA LT in a light IBCT. I'll tell you when I left OBC I didn't get a choice to my duty station was. I ended up at Bliss in 1st Armor Div. Then I was pushed to 3 IBCT, who would have thought of "light" Armor DIV. :shrug:

Being light isn't all that bad you just get used to being cold, tired and sore. lol

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm an FA LT in a light IBCT. I'll tell you when I left OBC I didn't get a choice to my duty station was. I ended up at Bliss in 1st Armor Div. Then I was pushed to 3 IBCT, who would have thought of "light" Armor DIV. :shrug:

Being light isn't all that bad you just get used to being cold, tired and sore. lol

Hell Paso! I actually miss the place some times.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Commissioning in May and headed to IBOLC. Need advice on picking my duty stations. I have another week to decide. Ones Im currently considering. Keep in mind Im trying to go heavy inf prefer strykers.

Carson
Lewis
Stewart
Germany

Do you have family yet? Germany is a great experience regardless. Nice to be able to choose.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

Carson
Lewis
Stewart
Germany

All that you listed are nice choices. I'd avoid Polk and Drum but it looks like you've already figured that out. By heavy, you mean mechanized I assume.

There's nothing wrong with the 82nd btw. Bragg's actually a really nice post.

My opinion, if you have any aspiration to go to Germany, do it now as a young LT. You'll have a lot more fun as a young guy.

Don't expect to get it if you put it as your #4 though.

Make sure you check out Auburn on the weekends when you're at Benning.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Germany should be the top of your list not the bottom. can't say as to the others but having lived in Germany I can tell you, you can't go wrong with that choice EVER!

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Updated list:

Carson
Germany
Stewart
Lewis
Korea
Hawaii

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Updated list:

Carson
Germany
Stewart
Lewis
Korea
Hawaii

Might as well scratch Hawaii off if it's that low on your list.

If you want OCONUS, it better be your #1 choice or be willing to burn an ADSO.

It also depends on the window you fall in. I'm gonna assume you werent top 10% since you are making a duty station list rather than selection?

Best slot to be in after that is at the 51% mark. So where did you fall on accessions will help determine what kind of shot you have at your duty station.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Might as well scratch Hawaii off if it's that low on your list.

If you want OCONUS, it better be your #1 choice or be willing to burn an ADSO.

It also depends on the window you fall in. I'm gonna assume you werent top 10% since you are making a duty station list rather than selection?

Best slot to be in after that is at the 51% mark. So where did you fall on accessions will help determine what kind of shot you have at your duty station.

2100 out of 3300 Active Duty

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
2100 out of 3300 Active Duty

So around 64th percentile. If you're willing to ADSO, you should be able to get whatever duty station you want.

If you don't burn the ADSO, it's really wide open. "Needs of the Army" can be a bitch sometimes.

Fuerza

Established Member
I don't understand how you guys are ADSO for a duty station. The Army already has you once your in BOLC. Be shit hot in school and hope for the best. There was no ADSO for anything in FA BOLC. I don't even remember making a list of where I'd like to do go. I just called branch one day when my peers started getting assignments and they told me FT Bliss.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I don't understand how you guys are ADSO for a duty station. The Army already has you once your in BOLC. Be shit hot in school and hope for the best. There was no ADSO for anything in FA BOLC. I don't even remember making a list of where I'd like to do go. I just called branch one day when my peers started getting assignments and they told me FT Bliss.

Were you ROTC? I'm going to guess no and say you were OCS. ROTC commissionaires will know they're duty station before attending BOLC.

ADSO has nothing to do with BOLC. If you ADSO for a duty station or branch, you do it long before BOLC.

Last edited:

majorbanjo

Established Member
Good luck to you....as a trooper who's spent most of his career in the 82d I'm sorry to hear you're avoiding the best division in the Army.....good luck to you anyway....all asignments are what you make them to be...some are better than others....Like Fort Bragg....

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Germany. But if you are wanting Strykers, go to Lewis and you will be guaranteed to be in a Stryker. Its a very nice post, i spent 5 years there.

Tacky03

Established Member
In Germany right now, the young officers tear it up over here. Most of Germany is Stryker based units. Can't beat the travel and experience of living in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread