Brand X- No tune needed CAI test

Tucker

We finally got the time tooday to test "the" CAI kit that does not require a tune.

Big thanks to SCGT500 for the use of his car for this. He has big balls letting us put this kit on his car without a tune!

Well as suspected we couldn't even make a full pull on the dyno.

we put the car back to stock (tune&airbox) and made 2 pulls to make sure all was in line. Then we did the install per the instructions and did the test as we would our own kit ar any kit for that matter.

First run the A/F was deep in the 14-15 range and we pulled out at 4100.
Second run netted the same results.

I see no way to install this kit on a GT500 SAFELY without a tune. Now it started to make some power, about 10-15 HP and 15-20 TQ, but at these lean A/F's it's will not stay in one piece for long.

Take this info for what it's worth.

Jay

jcthorne

Established Member
You know, this may lead to one good thing....

We have all been watching for the first blown up Shelby motor. With the K&N marketing machine behind this product they WILL sell this to some poor unsuspecting person. Who will then do some other minor mod and go way to far over the line and BOOM....... just watch and see. And thank Jay for keeping the rest of us from harm's way as we navigate this mine field.

Tucker

Thanks guys.

I'm sure many will sell and maybe even a member here will get one. I ask that if you do, please give us your honest opinion of the product and please please please go to a dyno and check your safe.

I'm still open minded to more 3rd party testing on these products and welcome the results.
So far we are the 3rd to find these same results with this product.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
By way of comparison, my '04 with a stock tune, K & N FIPK and JBA mufflers runs rich. I had it on a Dynojet in Nov. '06, and it did 428 RWHP and 395 RWTQ while showing an air/fuel mixture of 10.6.

Tucker

99 KOBRA said:
By way of comparison, my '04 with a stock tune, K & N FIPK and JBA mufflers runs rich. I had it on a Dynojet in Nov. '06, and it did 428 RWHP and 395 RWTQ while showing an air/fuel mixture of 10.6.
2 totally different animals

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Nice work Jay. You may have just saved a lot of GT500 motors from going south. :beer:

As for the people that buy the GT500s and do not come to this board or other boards that Jay frequents to see this helpful info..Shame on you, and good luck with your motor.

-Jeff

Tucker

I'm not wasting anymore time with this X&X thing, not to mention my test car is afraid to put it back on :)

If you put a intake on a Shelby... TUNE it.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread