Break in period on new gears?

Skudra

Established Member
Got the 4.10's in today, finally. Its pretty damn good but its been raining so I havent had a chance to give it a shot. I thought it would be a lot better, so if any of you are on the verge of the 4.10 or 4.30 buy, Id say go 4.30 if you want a real kick in the ass. Anyways, whats the break in period for these suckers?

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
its not really a set mileage or time period.

you want to drive at speeds below 55 for 20 minutes let it cool for a hour drive for 20 minutes and let cool and do that 4 or five times and you should be good to go.

if you drive for long distances for long periods of time you may develope some whine due to heat.

Tom

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
i've never actually ever broken in gears. my last 4 stangs i had gears put in. i never had any problems. some recommend a "break in" time though.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
I've always been told not to get on it for 500 miles. I've only put gears in one car though. Followed that rule and never had a problem.

WhiteStallionGT

Nah, no break in period, I think it's all a myth. I even asked the mustang shop about it, and they were like nah.

I romped on it the second I got on the road after the gear install. No problems.

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
Zero260 said:
Nah, no break in period, I think it's all a myth. I even asked the mustang shop about it, and they were like nah.

I romped on it the second I got on the road after the gear install. No problems.

IT IS NOT A MYTH! the most important time is the first 25-40 miles after the first 25-40 miles you should let the gaers cool overnight or they will whine!!!! trust me if you dont break them in you will burn up the gear set what brand did you buy?

nastygt

Officially Crazy
Established Member
Put them in backed out of the driveway floored it to see how they felt. Never did a break in and have 1,200 miles on them been to the track 4 times and no problem.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I read on another performance site that with Ford Racing gears...you should run them up to operating temperature 3 times with complete cool down periods in between. Something about it finely seating the gear teeth or something. I have no idea if that's accurate or even reasonable, but, I did see it somewhere. I just made 3 easy rides to work and then, got all over it. No problems at all.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
lookinfor cobra said:
IT IS NOT A MYTH! the most important time is the first 25-40 miles after the first 25-40 miles you should let the gaers cool overnight or they will whine!!!! trust me if you dont break them in you will burn up the gear set what brand did you buy?

so if you drive 150 miles to get your gears installed, then it would take 3 days to get home?! :poke: (using your 25-40 miles overnight cooling method)
if your gears are not installed correctly, they will whine. they don't need to settle, or seat. they should be exactly where they need to be when the differential cover goes back on. period. :pop:

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
ok guys I sell and have installed 1000's of gear sets and the ones that have failed are do to not braking them in properly! to the people that say they dont have gear whine do you aslo have a catback? or loud exhaust? I see burt up gear sets one a week and they all have the same thing in common they never let them cool down.... thats not to say that some are not ok but those are not in the majority and 3-4 days to get home I hope you were joking right I never said that was every time you drive it the first miles are the most critical but do what you guys want and Ill keep getting paid.....

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
No break-in required for FRPP gears as listed on the box. Installed mine and took off with no problems to date. Over 15k on them already.

Others may require some break-in so check the manufacturer of the gear set. The last thing you want is the 'death whine' from an improperly broken in gear set.

MARK C

Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
its not really a set mileage or time period.

you want to drive at speeds below 55 for 20 minutes let it cool for a hour drive for 20 minutes and let cool and do that 4 or five times and you should be good to go.

if you drive for long distances for long periods of time you may develope some whine due to heat.

Tom

This is the way I was told as well!

Users who are viewing this thread