Break In Period

Florida_Cobra03

Established Member
Just got an 03 Cobra. The break in period is 1K miles. The manual states that you should drive at varying speeds during this time to let all of the components adjust, but mentions nothing about top speed or top rpm during this period. How critical is this break in period? I don't plan on exceeding 100MPH but I will probably do a lot of highway driving during this period which will be at roughly 80MPH. Should I keep it under a certain MPH? Any opinions on the break in period?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
I say just drive it. My manual didnt say anything about a breakin period, did yours? Or are you just assuming.

Florida_Cobra03

Established Member
I think the break in period is mentioned in the regular mustang manual, not in the Cobra supplement. I assume that the mustang manual applies unless it states differently on the Cobra supplement.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Florida_Cobra03
I think the break in period is mentioned in the regular mustang manual, not in the Cobra supplement. I assume that the mustang manual applies unless it states differently on the Cobra supplement.
The SVT Tech at our dealership told us the cars are pretty much 'broken in' by the time they hit the showroom floor (engine wise at least), and theres no real breakin to worry about at all. I didn't know what its worth, but I would assume if there wa a real breakin period it would appear in the SVT supplement, not the useless regular Mustang manual.

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by DSG03Snake
The SVT Tech at our dealership told us the cars are pretty much 'broken in' by the time they hit the showroom floor (engine wise at least), and theres no real breakin to worry about at all. I didn't know what its worth, but I would assume if there wa a real breakin period it would appear in the SVT supplement, not the useless regular Mustang manual.

It used to be that breaking in an engine was to vary the speeds and not go over 3500 rpm until you get 500 miles on it. Just dont switch to synthetic oil if that is what you plan to use until after 5000 miles so you are sure the rings have seated properly.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
What is meant by break in is to vary the speeds, not cruising at a constant speed or lugging the engine. Short drive periods to run the engine through heat/cool cycles is preferred.

Personally, I don't run the engine over 4,000 rpm until after 500 miles, then I give it occasional runs up to red line in the lower gears. After 1,000 or so, it's probably OK to let 'er rip. You are really allowing all the parts to seat themselves, seals to wear in, etc. Change the oil frequently, and you'll be OK.

I've done this with all my cars and usually get 150,000 or more miles out of an engine.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Harry's right. I contacted SVT about this very topic and they basically said what Harry did. But, I will add that SVT also told me not to switch to a full synthetic (if you want) until 4 or 5000 miles.

My Cobra will flip over to 1000 miles tonight!

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Don't be afraid to goose it. You want those rings to seat. Mine burns no oil at all, and saw lots of full throttle from 200 miles on. And it saw boost in sixth gear(read high cylinder pressures) a few times in the first 100 miles.

Mustang Mike

Established Member
We must have different manuals or something because mine states there is no engine breakin at all or required. I'm not saying I believe that is true but thats what the claim. Drive the thing thats why you bought it. I had mine at the track for the first time with only 400 miles on it and made 9 passes, he he!

lethal

Established Member
My break in was the ride home.... where I raced a ricer.... my car now has 13K miles on it, no oil issues, nothing -- runs like a champ. Do what you think is best, drive and vary speeds if you like. I believe these engines are in good shape from the factory.

John

Users who are viewing this thread