breaking news Ford GT advisories hit "lucky seven"

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Waiting till 2007 might not have been such a bad idea...

And part of the problem with Ford is awarding the parts bids to shitty suppliers.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
50 BMG said:
And part of the problem with Ford is awarding the parts bids to shitty suppliers.

Also, rushing the car to market within 15 months of conception with mostly computer modeling to simulate "real" world scenarios. You cannot computer model everything. Hopefuly they can sort this out

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Dude, it's visual inspection of the seat belts. Oh my god! How terrifying!

And a possible leak of a rear seal that can also, gasp, be visually verified.

Look, I'm aware that the car costs alot of money blah blah blah, but virtually every car on the planet has recalls.

I can't remember if it was one or two years ago, but every Rolls Royce produced that year had to be recalled because of a leak in the engine that could cause the motor to ignite, making the car a grenade. How did they know? Because at Don Massey Rolls Royce less than 2 miles from my house, a porter was taking one back after prepping it and it went kaboom destroying the entire 300k car...

Was www.blueovalnews.com bitching then? No, it's only because *** ass Robert Lane has a grudge with Ford that can't be satiated.

I say big ****ing deal. Chevy wouldn't admit for years that C5's could get column lock. Dodge had to bring in a ton of SRT-10s for bad engines.

At least Ford is dealing with it and busting out the white gloves. How would you feel taking your 85k msrp SRT-10 to the dealer to have the motor gone into...?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
DBK, I agree completely. I still believe they rushed the car to market too quickly for their 100yr anniversery without properly road testing the car. As for the vipers, they only had to bring in some early build '03 which were down on power because of a poor head, they did not have to go into the bottom end or anything like that.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
DBK, I agree completely. I still believe they rushed the car to market too quickly for their 100yr anniversery without properly road testing the car. As for the vipers, they only had to bring in some early build '03 which were down on power because of a poor head, they did not have to go into the bottom end or anything like that.

Oh I have no doubt that the process was rushed. But everyone knew that from the beginning. If Ford hadn't gone bananas trying to get it done in time, sites like BON would have articles on fords inability to build a car in time for it's hundredth anniversary. The problems are relatively mild except for the control arm problem, and that was largely out of Ford's control.

And i know it was only a defect in the heads with the SRT's, but still. I shudder to think letting a tech at any dealer of any make rummaging around with my motor. These are the same people that routinely don't screw on oil filters on tight enough and the like...Ugh...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I hope they don't duck their responsibilities on a brand new 150k car. I know these things happen, but it really gives a black eye becasue these are not minor issues, they are potential catastrophic failures.

I posted about this a while ago when I talked to a ford engineer and he said during engine testing they were having problems with the cranks. Everything will be fine in the end though.

Last edited:

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
My girlfriends Nissan Frontier s/c just got recalled,my Tahoe got recalled,Sh&t all cars get recalled.

fordification

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I posted about this a while ago when I talked to a ford engineer and he said during engine testing they were having problems with the cranks. Everything will be fine in the end though.

"after the first two tests revealed a hidden crankshaft problem that had the design team scrambling to quickly find a solution. A process that usually would take months to resolve and had the potential to descend into a bureaucratic morass was reduced to days, as experts at Ford's Vee Engine Engineering and materials testing lab traced the problem to an undercut fillet on the crankshaft snout the design team proposed a change to the crankshaft machining process, and the staff at Ford's Engine Manufacturing Development Operations (EMDO), where the GT's block, heads, and crank are machined prior to assembly, confirmed they could implement the change into the production process. The speed with which the problem was identified, corrected, and successfully retested is a testament not only to the high-level importance assigned to the GT program within Ford, but also to the enthusiasm shown by all levels of labor and management for the project.
"

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
Actually, Ford has actually gained respect from the supercar/exotic car community.

Unlike many, who drive mass produced vehicles, they know the idiosycracies that follow low production, handbuilt vehicles. They are very impressed with how quickly Ford has identified, acknowledged, and fixed the issues. They are also very impressed with how Ford has taken care of their customers on these issues. Ferrari owners only wish that Ferrari was that proactive with their problems............. and there are many.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Still given that fact that the supercar/exotic car community is watching you would think they want to get it right. I believe that Ford did themselves a great disservice by bringing it out to quick. If they can react quickly then why dont the react when it's on the drawing board correctly and quickly. Just hurts the blue oval badge!

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
The car was brought to the market too quickly in my opinion. When I was in college we studied the differences between business concerns and engineering concerns. It appears the businessmen won over then engineers in this case and forced a product to the market without the proper testing and development. This is an amazing car to have been brought to the market so fast with the performance it offers, they did the best they could with the time and money they were given in my opinion. At least they are acknowledging the problems and fixing them quickly to get quality under control.

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
The DBK said:
Oh I have no doubt that the process was rushed. But everyone knew that from the beginning. If Ford hadn't gone bananas trying to get it done in time, sites like BON would have articles on fords inability to build a car in time for it's hundredth anniversary. The problems are relatively mild except for the control arm problem, and that was largely out of Ford's control.

And i know it was only a defect in the heads with the SRT's, but still. I shudder to think letting a tech at any dealer of any make rummaging around with my motor. These are the same people that routinely don't screw on oil filters on tight enough and the like...Ugh...

actually beleive it or not people are trained in different departments. and suprisingly enough they don't always have the smartest people in the world changing oil. where as people who go into engines have years of experience and specialized training. ford has several training courses on the GT that are hours long each

fordification

Established Member
And considering Ford has never built any production car of this performance magnitude, there's bound to be problems. Even the mid-engine design, there was absolutely nothing even close to a comparison.

I was really hoping the control arms were going to be the only issue though. And it will hurt the image. This is just fuel for the vette and viper guys.

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
Its A Wonder They Are Wating As Long As They Are To Bring Out The New Cobra They Refuse To Have A Repeat Of 99... As For The Gt Wow Fix A Few Things That Happen Big Deal... U Could Add Another 10 Things That Go Wrong With It And Ford Will Still Sale Everyone Of Them And Then Some..

stvdman

Established Member
Where has it been shown that the release date being "early" had ANYTHING to do with these "problems".

KUDO's to Ford for building an "American Supercar" that is pretty damned great.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
stvdman said:
Where has it been shown that the release date being "early" had ANYTHING to do with these "problems".

KUDO's to Ford for building an "American Supercar" that is pretty damned great.

I believe they went from concept to production in like 15 months to meet the 100 year anniversary. Thats like half the time normally required for adequate testing and design. They did a lot of computer modeling instead of standard physical testing on things like the engine and the frame. If you don't give yourself an adequate amount of time to work the "bugs" out, they will surface in the first few months of production.

Users who are viewing this thread