Brightest LED taillight bulbs?

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Hello guys,
I did a search and really didnt find to much recently on this subject. anyone find a really bright taillight led bulbs that are hassle free (w/o having to install resistors?)

I have tinted taillights and looking for something really bright.
I have reverse lights from DDM tuning like 48 smd and to be honest i think the regular bulbs were brighter....

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I also want to mention, don't get the resistor kit. Change the flasher instead. I'll update this post later with the 2 I have found that work.

Had to look up the details - but here they are:
One is the IJDMToys one found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2B52SK

The other is go to your Napa auto parts store and buy their EP27L. No need to add resistors.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Those look interesting. I went ahead and purchased a set. I'll review it once I have it installed.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
In for comments. I was just thinking about this. Will the flasher that's installed to slow down the sequential tails work for keeping the LEDs from hyper flashing? I have bulbs in mine now and the flasher is very slooow.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
So I contacted JDM ASTAR about which bulbs are the brightest in red.
This is what they recommend

Extremely Bright PX Chipsets

At 24 dollars for a pair you can't go wrong. Or can you? They have a 1 year warrenty and the construction looks better than most....
I'll take pictures once I get them installed with the new blacked out tail lights.

They have reverse lights that put out 1500 lumens each bulb. I'm going to try those as well. And update the yellow turn signals in the headlights.

Huachipato thanks for the link to the flasher. Keep us posted on the 1200 lumen bulb

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
What sequential taillight kit do you have? I like the speed that your tail lights sequence.

It's an old kit from Autotrix and then i changed the flasher with a havy duty flasher that has a slower flashing rate. I think they have it on their site(super expensive). The LEDs make a big difference of the way the sequence is also. You can probably modify your stock flasher by opening it up and changing the capacitor to a higher value.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
It's an old kit from Autotrix and then i changed the flasher with a havy duty flasher that has a slower flashing rate. I think they have it on their site(super expensive). The LEDs make a big difference of the way the sequence is also. You can probably modify your stock flasher by opening it up and changing the capacitor to a higher value.

Cool. Thanks for the reply

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I installed the lights this weekend and I can say they are brighter than the stock bulbs but its not an amazing difference maybe 30-40% brighter. They turn on much faster though which is a bonus gives someone 2 milliseconds more to slam on the brakes.

I wanted a little more bling so now im Waiting on the roxiam plug and play sequencial taillights. Once it's set up I'll post pictures or a video.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Finally got around to installing the JDM Astar bulbs from the Amazon link above. It is just an initial look at it, but it is much brighter than stock.

Just a tip - when you install these bulbs - put the car in Reverse and put the key in the on position (engine off). They only light when inserted one way. If it doesn't light, just flip it around.

Here are my pictures:
Stock:
20170307_173158.jpg

Left one LED, Right side stock:
20170307_173957.jpg

Both LEDS:
20170307_175240.jpg

Side by side comparison of stock bulb vs. LED:
20170307_174348.jpg

Close up of the LED in action:
20170307_175256.jpg

Haven't used it in real life just yet - if you know what I mean. But I have no doubt this is brighter than stock.

So far though - my initial impression is they are bright and good for reverse lights.

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
I've retrofitted a set of OEM osram LED from a 11 GT. As you see i have tinted lights. I love them

Small world! I just commented on your YouTube video asking for info on how the conversion went lol

Edit to avoid a double post**

OP- I used Triton V3 leds for my reverse lights. They are a little expensive and require a driver to be mounted somewhere. I also have some moisture issues with my left one, because they are a universal type bulb. However, all of that being said, they are bright AF.

19d71c2443d8847a783c2392d1beb89f.jpg

27773b64798bb473f790d26ad536725d.jpg

In those photos you can see them in comparison to a multi-smd-style amber turn signal bulb and standard incandescent bulbs in both hi and low mode in the tail lights.

Link to the Triton V3's:
http://www.vleds.com/products/v3-triton.html

Last edited:

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Those are extremely bright. But $130 for a pair?

No doubt that they are expensive. Also, for the record, I bought them on sale for $100.

My main reason for getting them was when I was living in Florida I had 5% on all the windows and couldn't see a damn thing at night

Users who are viewing this thread