"Bring it in, drop it off, we will look at it"

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Does everyone put up with this crap all the time.

I call the dealer about my lumbar support. I tell the idiot on the phone what is wrong...

them - "well sir, you will have to bring it in and drop it off so we can look at it and see if we need to order any parts for it...."

me - "how long do you need it to look at it?"

them - "well at least a couple hours"

Do you all put up with this on a regular basis?

I never let anyone work on my cars. I don't understand why it takes "hours " to see if something is wrong. Hell I am sure I can fix it faster than they can "look at it"

I hate dealer DIS SERVICE.

haskett

Established Member
Standard fare, in my experience. Once my warranty is done, another mechanic will never see the car again.

Quick03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
"well sir, you will have to bring it in and drop it off so we can look at it and see if we need to order any parts for it...."

From your quote above, I don't think he wa saying he had to look at it to see if it was broken. Rather that he would need it for a couple of hours to see if he could locate the parts on site or have to order them. Either way, I don't think you are the only person needing help with their car where you live and you might cut them some slack.

Last edited:

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
See if they will let you make an appointment - so you can realistically be more demanding. Otherwise, a couple of hours sounds very reasonable. Dealers don't have mechanics standing around waiting for cars to show up. How is a service department supposed to anticipate exactly how long it will take to look at your problem when they a) don't know exactly how many people will be coming in for problems that day, b) what the nature of those problems are and how long it will take their mechanics to fix them, and c) when YOU might decide to show up in the middle of all of that?

This isn't like going to Jiffy Lube.

Jim

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Most say leave it for the day. That is not unreasonable and normal. Fix it yourself if you can't wait.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey Tweaker and silver_coupe,

I decided to fix it today, I timed it, it took me 8 minutes to fix it.

I knew that was going to be the case, there was nothing broken, just a plastic clip that was off and the bladder moved...

That's the purpose of this thread, to bitch cause the service mgrs couldn't find thier ass with both hands and when you tell them what's wrong, they simply say, "Bring it in and drop it off and we will fix it sometime... "

Sincerely,

"Iron Man"

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
I think the frustration is more because most of us know what is wrong with the car when we call but bring it in and we will look at it sounds like " well we will find out what is really wrong with it."

Friendchicken

yes, it was a clip in this case... but it could have been a ruptured bladder.

How do you expect them to fix something right away when a tech has to finish the job he's working on (be it an oil change or a re/re trans) to begin to look at yours. Then the have to fix anything from a clip to a new bladder system...

A couple hours seems like a reasonable prediction to me. You could always take the car into Mrs Cleo's Auto repair shop where the service advisers use crystal balls instead of computers.

Friendchicken

Originally posted by 03cobrablack
I think the frustration is more because most of us know what is wrong with the car when we call but bring it in and we will look at it sounds like " well we will find out what is really wrong with it."

Do you know how many times I have been burned as an advisor cause the customer "knew exactly wat it was"? Tech rips apart half the car, then finds out it was something else...

When it's Ford's dollar, you have to do it their way. When it's your dollar, they can do it your way.

Users who are viewing this thread