brisk plugs?

87FOXGT

Established Member
what are these plugs ive been hearing about lately? ive got a 2.8 with stock plugs, and if these can help provide better spark, then im down for a set. where can i buy em? how much? are they really much better? thanks

elmo0244

Established Member
i like mine i know u will be able tell a diffance from stock to them.i got mine from LFP(lighting force performance) for $89 shipped someone help with his web site.i think there worth the money.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Actually here is a great write up from another mustang forum.

Note - My car is a 2v with a blower, it just happens that this thread lives in this forum.....
Well, I got my Brisk plugs last Friday and had a chance to get them in the car Saturday. Sunday was my first chance to drive the car, logging about 70 miles. My car set the MIL almost immediately (P0303). Turns out that I was able to verify a long standing suspicion - that one of my COPs was bad. Got that sorted and was able to log some miles tonight.

So - to the point: What about the Brisk plugs and performance?

Short answer:
My data is likely inconclusive due to lack of any accurate data generation (i.e. dyno runs). But I'm happy with what I got.
Did my low-rpm stumble go away? So far - yes. I can floor it @ 40mph while in 5th gear and while the engine isn't happy, it's also not convulsing wildly as it had in the past. IMO that right there was worth the cost of admission.
What about power? Well, all I can say is that the car has not run this strong since November of last year (2 sets of plugs ago). My SOTP meter tells me the car is making excellent power - but I now need to hit a dyno and do some data logging and tuning with my TwEECer to see what I can coax out of the car.

Those looking for conclusive dyno data will want to stop reading now.

The long story:
First, hats off to LFP for follow-up on the order, excellent packaging, and quick shipping.

I've attached a few pics - I apologize for the quality. While I do have and awesome digital camera, the only decent lens I have for it is intended for portraiture and not macro photography.

The first thing that I noticed about the plugs was something of a lack of quality, or at least consistency, in a couple points of their manufacture. Attached are a couple photos to illustrate my points. Notice on the first picture that there is a very pronounced difference in the sizes of 2 of the 4 "arc points" around the center electrode. While I may be nit-picking here, the fact remains that these plugs are $11/each - and this kind of anomaly is, IMHO, a fairly clear indicator that quality control / consistent product is not a primary concern at the Brisk factory. In the second photo you'll see a couple of the center electrodes clearly showing some deep nicks - again, hardly what I'd call a characteristic of a "premium plug", but possibly (well, hopefully) nothing that's going to affect overall performance. I'm of the opinion that these left the factory this way - there's no way
I was actually quite surprised by the "gap" between the center electrode and the outer conductors - it looks friggin' huge compared to the typical gap of a traditional plug. While I didn't take any kind of truly precise measurements, I was glad to see that relative positioning of the center electrodes and the "circular gap" were very consistent on all 8 plugs - in the end I think that counts more than the actual sizes / relative dimensions of each of the 4 spark points. The threads and shank of the brisk plug were of fairly consistent appearance and quality.

Installation was straight forward, and thanks to whoever posted the tip on blowing off the heads (to clean them) prior to pulling the plugs - never thought of that myself.

I've also attached a pic of the Brisk plug next to my old Motorcraft plug. You'll see something of a difference in the overall dimensions - but I think the most significant might be the depth of the plug that actually protrudes into the combustion chamber. I dunno about the overall affect it might have on the intake charge, the swirl - whatever, but perhaps this is one of the factors leading to power gains others have dyno'd. I don't know what is a typical power gain for correctly indexed plugs, but perhaps the "front firing" nature of the Brisk has the same benefit. One thing is certain, the general physical profile the Brisk plug presents in the combustion chamber is much smoother / more compact than a standard plug design.
Overall it looks like the insulator is longer, yet thinner, on the Brisk. Supposedly this plug doesn't really present the same "heat range" that a standard plug does, so again this might be inconsequential. While the plug is a little taller above the shoulder, the COPs went back into place with the same ease as the other plugs I've had in place. I did take the opportunity to check out the way the little coil in the COPs boot "captures" the top of the plug, and it's a very loose fit, leading me to believe (and other confirmed for me in another thread) that the use of dielectric grease is pretty much SOP to insure good contact. As it happened, I stopped at the local FoMoCo since it's right around the corner (still one new orange Cobra for $29k!) and asked about the grease. The parts guy was going to give me a tube but couldn't seem to lay his hands on one quickly. I had some at home anyway, I was just glad to verify the use - when I bought the last 2 sets of plugs no one bothered to suggest that I use the grease.

So, as stated, so far I am happy with the Brisk plugs, can't speak with any kind of certainty on the power, but the engine no longer misses. I have not thrown the car on the OBD-II scanner to get a real reading, but the idiot gauge on the dash shows the car idling at a smooth 700 RPMs. Thus far in driving the engine returns to idle at a stop in a very smooth fashion - in the past it would occasionally fluctuate several times between 1000-1200 before finally settling back around 800-900.
My car now pulls evenly through redline - like the old days. I have yet to really get my foot in it - I have something of a cross-country commute tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to do some real flogging.

Could I have gotten the same benefit from simple trial-and-error gapping and re-gapping a couple different sets of plugs? I suppose so, but then this was as simple and a plug change, and I had no such success over the last two plug changes, and I'm not part of a NASCAR pit-crew, so it's superior in the respect in my mind. The fact that I have to tear so heavily into my engine (removal of CAI, EGR, and several other hoses and connectors) make it really unattractive for me to consider anything that requires a high degree of interaction in the plug department. Denso's? Well the first time I read repeated posts about them spitting ceramic into the engine pretty much insured that I'll never consider them - 5hp doesn't mean that much to me. Never tried NGKs - but for the few bucks more a set I will stick with Brisk until the next miracle plug arrives........

I'm looking forward to getting back into the TwEECer and re-tuning. I've got a new MAF, the TwEECer software has had some improvements, and I had a pretty lean condition to address - so who knows, maybe I can hit 340-350hp with a little work.

I should note that I did not clear the KAM. Saw little point in it for a plug change.

I also installed (but have yet to actually fire up) a "plasma booster" by Ignition Solutions. I really didn't buy into this bit of quackery, but I got it on eBay for a fraction of it's sticker price - so I figgered what the heck. The guy that I bought it from didn't really say why he was ditching it - but from what I could gather in email conversation with him, and according to the wiring diagram he included with the kit (he "lost" the original), he had wired it into his injectors - not his COPs! If / when I get on the dyno I'll see if there's any merit to this thing other than adding 8 green LEDs under my hood......

I think I may try these things after all.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
and according to the wiring diagram he included with the kit he had wired it into his injectors - not his COPs

Damn!
That's gonna reduce gas mileage!

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Actually here is a great write up from another mustang forum.

Note - My car is a 2v with a blower, it just happens that this thread lives in this forum.....
Well, I got my Brisk plugs last Friday and had a chance to get them in the car Saturday. Sunday was my first chance to drive the car, logging about 70 miles. My car set the MIL almost immediately (P0303). Turns out that I was able to verify a long standing suspicion - that one of my COPs was bad. Got that sorted and was able to log some miles tonight.

So - to the point: What about the Brisk plugs and performance?

Short answer:
My data is likely inconclusive due to lack of any accurate data generation (i.e. dyno runs). But I'm happy with what I got.
Did my low-rpm stumble go away? So far - yes. I can floor it @ 40mph while in 5th gear and while the engine isn't happy, it's also not convulsing wildly as it had in the past. IMO that right there was worth the cost of admission.
What about power? Well, all I can say is that the car has not run this strong since November of last year (2 sets of plugs ago). My SOTP meter tells me the car is making excellent power - but I now need to hit a dyno and do some data logging and tuning with my TwEECer to see what I can coax out of the car.

Those looking for conclusive dyno data will want to stop reading now.

The long story:
First, hats off to LFP for follow-up on the order, excellent packaging, and quick shipping.

I've attached a few pics - I apologize for the quality. While I do have and awesome digital camera, the only decent lens I have for it is intended for portraiture and not macro photography.

The first thing that I noticed about the plugs was something of a lack of quality, or at least consistency, in a couple points of their manufacture. Attached are a couple photos to illustrate my points. Notice on the first picture that there is a very pronounced difference in the sizes of 2 of the 4 "arc points" around the center electrode. While I may be nit-picking here, the fact remains that these plugs are $11/each - and this kind of anomaly is, IMHO, a fairly clear indicator that quality control / consistent product is not a primary concern at the Brisk factory. In the second photo you'll see a couple of the center electrodes clearly showing some deep nicks - again, hardly what I'd call a characteristic of a "premium plug", but possibly (well, hopefully) nothing that's going to affect overall performance. I'm of the opinion that these left the factory this way - there's no way
I was actually quite surprised by the "gap" between the center electrode and the outer conductors - it looks friggin' huge compared to the typical gap of a traditional plug. While I didn't take any kind of truly precise measurements, I was glad to see that relative positioning of the center electrodes and the "circular gap" were very consistent on all 8 plugs - in the end I think that counts more than the actual sizes / relative dimensions of each of the 4 spark points. The threads and shank of the brisk plug were of fairly consistent appearance and quality.

Installation was straight forward, and thanks to whoever posted the tip on blowing off the heads (to clean them) prior to pulling the plugs - never thought of that myself.

I've also attached a pic of the Brisk plug next to my old Motorcraft plug. You'll see something of a difference in the overall dimensions - but I think the most significant might be the depth of the plug that actually protrudes into the combustion chamber. I dunno about the overall affect it might have on the intake charge, the swirl - whatever, but perhaps this is one of the factors leading to power gains others have dyno'd. I don't know what is a typical power gain for correctly indexed plugs, but perhaps the "front firing" nature of the Brisk has the same benefit. One thing is certain, the general physical profile the Brisk plug presents in the combustion chamber is much smoother / more compact than a standard plug design.
Overall it looks like the insulator is longer, yet thinner, on the Brisk. Supposedly this plug doesn't really present the same "heat range" that a standard plug does, so again this might be inconsequential. While the plug is a little taller above the shoulder, the COPs went back into place with the same ease as the other plugs I've had in place. I did take the opportunity to check out the way the little coil in the COPs boot "captures" the top of the plug, and it's a very loose fit, leading me to believe (and other confirmed for me in another thread) that the use of dielectric grease is pretty much SOP to insure good contact. As it happened, I stopped at the local FoMoCo since it's right around the corner (still one new orange Cobra for $29k!) and asked about the grease. The parts guy was going to give me a tube but couldn't seem to lay his hands on one quickly. I had some at home anyway, I was just glad to verify the use - when I bought the last 2 sets of plugs no one bothered to suggest that I use the grease.

So, as stated, so far I am happy with the Brisk plugs, can't speak with any kind of certainty on the power, but the engine no longer misses. I have not thrown the car on the OBD-II scanner to get a real reading, but the idiot gauge on the dash shows the car idling at a smooth 700 RPMs. Thus far in driving the engine returns to idle at a stop in a very smooth fashion - in the past it would occasionally fluctuate several times between 1000-1200 before finally settling back around 800-900.
My car now pulls evenly through redline - like the old days. I have yet to really get my foot in it - I have something of a cross-country commute tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to do some real flogging.

Could I have gotten the same benefit from simple trial-and-error gapping and re-gapping a couple different sets of plugs? I suppose so, but then this was as simple and a plug change, and I had no such success over the last two plug changes, and I'm not part of a NASCAR pit-crew, so it's superior in the respect in my mind. The fact that I have to tear so heavily into my engine (removal of CAI, EGR, and several other hoses and connectors) make it really unattractive for me to consider anything that requires a high degree of interaction in the plug department. Denso's? Well the first time I read repeated posts about them spitting ceramic into the engine pretty much insured that I'll never consider them - 5hp doesn't mean that much to me. Never tried NGKs - but for the few bucks more a set I will stick with Brisk until the next miracle plug arrives........

I'm looking forward to getting back into the TwEECer and re-tuning. I've got a new MAF, the TwEECer software has had some improvements, and I had a pretty lean condition to address - so who knows, maybe I can hit 340-350hp with a little work.

I should note that I did not clear the KAM. Saw little point in it for a plug change.

I also installed (but have yet to actually fire up) a "plasma booster" by Ignition Solutions. I really didn't buy into this bit of quackery, but I got it on eBay for a fraction of it's sticker price - so I figgered what the heck. The guy that I bought it from didn't really say why he was ditching it - but from what I could gather in email conversation with him, and according to the wiring diagram he included with the kit (he "lost" the original), he had wired it into his injectors - not his COPs! If / when I get on the dyno I'll see if there's any merit to this thing other than adding 8 green LEDs under my hood......

I think I may try these things after all.
That about sums it up...:read:

elmo0244

Established Member
danm this sure alot of talk for spark plug's i like mine. hey 87foxgt here's lfp number 1-866-310-0750 ask for mark he a great guy.

Users who are viewing this thread