Broke my first part today. At least it was cheap.

dogmush

Established Member
I'm still figuring out these superchargers, so if these questions are stupid, please bear with me.

I was getting on the interstate today and playing with the car and I missed fourth gear while (attempting) powershifting. The car tapped the rev limiter, and then the Alt. light came on. That was it. I was already out of the throttle when the light came on. I babyed her home thinking about all the bad Alt. threads I've seen in here, but when I popped the hood to look I was like, "Huh, isin't there supposed to be a belt on that blower?" Apparentlly my blower belt disintigrated somewhere towards the top of third gear. No big deal, I had a spare in the trunk. Just slapped it on. (by the way, that's a really crappy belt to change) So on to the questions.

1. Do you think hitting 6800-7000 would fragged the belt?
2. Do these blower belts have a shorter expected lifespan then a standard serpintine belt? If so what is it?
3. Is this the kind of thing I just want to go buy another one and keep in the trunk again? If so what brand? (I had a Gatorback, but it came from the previous owner)

FYI, I have a 2.80 upper and RR idlers

Thanks for the help.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
they generally last pretty well considering the abuse we put them through, including high rpm blasts

a snub idler stresses it more than stock, as does running a very tight belt

I too carry a spare along with a 1/2" breaker (I do that with all my vehicles that have serpentine belts)

you think changing that one is bad, try the one behind it!

I recommend Gates belts

if it breaks again, check for misaligned pulleys....

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
As high a quality as the RR idler pulleys are, I have seen the outer ridges on them cause minor fraying to the 8 rib supercharger belts, which over time could lead to loosing the belt. Have seen it happen several times.

dogmush

Established Member
Cool, I'll throw another belt in the trunk and see how long this one lasts. I kinda figured that the blower was a little more stress on the belt then just acc. drives.

Users who are viewing this thread