Broke my Torsen, recommendations welcome

aekrot1

Hi,

I just read an older post in SVTperformance forum about broken Torsen posi units in solid axle cars.

I would like to know if the Eaton TruTrac and WaveTrac center sections fit the 8.8 IRS? I have a 2016 performance pack GT that came with 3.73's and Torsen posi.

I had 3.31 gears put in mine at 500 miles. RSX clutch and Carbon Fiber driveshaft at 650 miles. I installed a Whipple stage2 at 780 miles. I am pretty sure that I broke the Torsen at 1023 miles on the street with stock tires during 1-2 shift. The car smoked the drivers side tire only after a big bang. It drove home without noise when straight but popped and clunked badly in turns.

I already have the high end Ford half shafts and Steeda rear braces but I got impatient and wanted to drive it a little before putting them in. I guess some wheel hop at the shift probably broke a gear tooth.

A little surprised I broke it on the street with the stock tires and exhaust.

Alex

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gt500_sti_guy

Established Member
Terry sells a wavetrac that fits the new super 8.8 housing. However if you must go with a wavetrac, i urge you to at least get the S trac from strange instead. Its a much better and beefier piece with a lifetime warranty
http://www.strangeengineering.net/the-all-new-strange-35-spline-s-trac-for-8-8-ford/

Havent heard of the trutrac fitting. What i can tell you is ive seen a lot of issues with the torsen that come in the PP. I can also tell you that if you care about racing from a dig a torsen is not the way to go. Wait for a locker to become available and use a trac lok as a cheap way to get up and going until it does come out.

aekrot1

I finally got in touch with Strange and they do not currently have plans to develop an S-trac for the 2015+ Mustang IS which has 34 spline axle half shafts...

Looks like I'm stuck using a Ford position unit with clutches...

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread